Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2012 7:16:19 AM EDT
Here's my latest build, just need to get the barrel shortened and duracoated.

Parts/modifications:

• Polished bolt/carrier

•    
  • Red star arms adjustable trigger

•        
  • worth every penny.  I have it adjusted to mimic my Geissele SSA-E on my AR

•    
  • RAM ambi mag release

•        
  • I think I'd stick with the standard one though.  I like the one on my Saiga 12, but haven't enjoyed this one as much

•    
  • Ace adapter block

•    
  • Ace AR style folding mechanism

•    
  • Magpul CTR stock

•    
  • Magpul MOE grip plastic welded to an ACE grip adapter

•        
  • I like this configuration, but I'd be tempted to try out the US Palm grip over going through the work to plastic weld this one again

•    
  • Ultimak gas tube/rail

•    
  • Carolina shooter supply handguard

•    
  • If had to mill out some slots on the side of the handguard to get this to fit with the ultimak. This would be easy enough to do with a dremel since the the area I had to cut lines up nicely with the slots.  I also had to shave a little off the tenon of the handguard to get it to fit inside the AK receiver (not a big deal though since most parts require a little bit of fitting)

•            
  • In addition to all of that, you have to cut off you handguard retainer (dremel)

•    
  • Bolton gas block/fsb

•        
  • With the MAK90, I had to ream it out to 0.635

•    
  • Vortex Flash hider

•    
  • Mojo rear sight

•    
  • Tromix bolt on charging handle

• The last thing I may add is the Linch left hand charging dust cover, I think this would finish it off nicely.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:40:20 AM EDT
    [#1]
    Looks good!
    how did you attach the rail?
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:49:14 AM EDT
    [#2]
    Quoted:
    Looks good!

It's a carolina shooter supply handguard for a Saiga.  It works on the AK as long as you remove handguard retainer.  It comes with a little barrel clamp mount.  In addition, in order to make it fit with the Ultimak Gas tube, I had to have a section machined off both sides for it to fit.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:04:36 AM EDT
    [#3]
    Nice
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 9:09:40 AM EDT
    [#4]
    I normally cringe when I see a MAK90 all tact'd out but this looks nice and clean.
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 3:54:42 PM EDT
    [#5]
    I really like it. Could you give a rundown of what you did and the parts used.
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 4:44:53 PM EDT
    [#6]
    Quoted:

Yes, please.

I have a MAK with a really small turned down barrel that I would like to do some modifications to.
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:35:47 PM EDT
    [#7]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Yes, please.

I have a MAK with a really small turned down barrel that I would like to do some modifications to.

Build list added
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:19:34 PM EDT
    [#8]
    You had to cut the tang off that that stock adapter, right?
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:43:29 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Quoted:
    You had to cut the tang off that that stock adapter, right?

Yes sir
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:58:42 PM EDT
    [#10]
    Looks good.  How about a few more pics of the handguard and how it fits?  Maybe  pic about the mods for the ultimak?
    Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:13:04 PM EDT
    [#11]
    Quoted:
    Looks good.  How about a few more pics of the handguard and how it fits?  Maybe  pic about the mods for the ultimak?

Here's a better shot of how the handguard was modified. I had to machine a bit of the side out to clear the ultimak.

The ultimak is unmodified.
    Link Posted: 9/29/2012 1:28:45 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Just went out and shot it today, ran perfectly.  One thing I noticed is that it spit the brass out 8-10ft w/ the Bolton block, vs. 20-30' as it did with the stock gas block.
    Link Posted: 9/29/2012 2:27:18 PM EDT
    [#13]
    Great looking rifle SICARIO.  Nice job  
    Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:14:22 PM EDT
    [#14]
    Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:17:11 PM EDT
    [#15]
    Of all the rifles I've viewed this one is the closet to what I'd like mine to be.

Just to be a little different than yours I'll probably keep the standard sight since it gives a little more sight radius, then use an ak200s rear sight, and keep my saw style grip. Most likely will get a co-witness reddot, but I have not decided on a mounting solution yet.

I'm definitely getting that handguard, probably the trigger, and ace folder mechanism. Have not decided if I want the CTR stock or an ultralight entry stock. CTR allows me to extend the rifle to use with a night vision monocular and reddot if I need more clearance room between monocular and optic, also can add a cheek riser if needed, but I love the light weight of the ultralight entry stock. Do you have the weight of your build? Might help me make a better decision for mine.

Thanks for sharing this.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:13:52 AM EDT
    [#16]
    I wonder if ACE makes a non-folding adapter to use with AR stocks. Wonder if anyone makes a buffer tube that will fit the long tang on the MAK?
    Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:28:01 AM EDT
    [#17]
    Quoted:
    I wonder if ACE makes a non-folding adapter to use with AR stocks. Wonder if anyone makes a buffer tube that will fit the long tang on the MAK?

Vltor makes a tube that fits with the tang still on. Ace make a pig nose adapter for their block that mates up to the AR buffer tube

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 1:24:54 PM EDT
    [#18]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Vltor makes a tube that fits with the tang still on. Ace make a pig nose adapter for their block that mates up to the AR buffer tube

http://www.vltorstore.com/productimage.php?product_id=50

The vltor tube is nice, but won't work with the long tang the MAk has.
    Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:37:49 AM EDT
    [#19]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

There are other tube options out there, Vltor is just one of them.  There have been a few times that I had to shave a little off the end of the tang to get everything to line up.  Of course, most aftermarket AK parts require some sort of "fitting" to get them to work.
    Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:23:16 AM EDT
    [#20]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

There are other tube options out there, Vltor is just one of them.  There have been a few times that I had to shave a little off the end of the tang to get everything to line up.  Of course, most aftermarket AK parts require some sort of "fitting" to get them to work.

The tang is a lot longer on a MAK90 in comparison to almost every other AK I have seen, and buffer tubes designed around a standard AKM will not work with a MAK. The hole is a completely different location on a WASR, or similar AK, than a MAK90.
    Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:41:39 AM EDT
    [#21]
    I have the Vltor tube on my Norinco MAK90.  It fits great, nice product.
    Link Posted: 10/9/2012 7:54:02 PM EDT
    [#22]
    Quoted:

How? I tried the VLTOR tube I had on my old AK74 and it would not work.
    Link Posted: 10/10/2012 4:28:13 AM EDT
    [#23]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Just so I know we're talking about the same product:  Vltor RE-47 like this.

http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/VLT-RE47.gif

I can't remember which color spacer I used but it bolted right up and fits really nice and snug.  There are so many variations in specs for the AKM family it's almost impossible to make a "Universal Product" that will match up and bolt on to any AK variant perfectly.  In my experience the Vltor RE-47 stock adapter tube worked very nicely.
    Link Posted: 10/10/2012 5:42:39 AM EDT
    [#24]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Just so I know we're talking about the same product:  Vltor RE-47 like this.

http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/VLT-RE47.gif

I can't remember which color spacer I used but it bolted right up and fits really nice and snug.  There are so many variations in specs for the AKM family it's almost impossible to make a "Universal Product" that will match up and bolt on to any AK variant perfectly.  In my experience the Vltor RE-47 stock adapter tube worked very nicely.

Yes, that is the one I am talking about also. The one I had worked perfectly with my Bulgarian AK74, but would not work with my MAK, only because the MAK has a longer tang. There is no way the two screw/bolt holes would line up on my MAK.

::edit:: Vltor's customer service said it will work... I may end up trying it again. I wish I had another AK here to look at, because I know the tang is longer, and IIRC that would greatly affect the way it fits the RE-47.
    Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:41:46 AM EDT
    [#25]
    Update?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:10:29 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Quoted:
    Update?

Off to Duracoat, will follow up with pics once it's back together.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:29:47 PM EDT
    [#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks good. How about a few more pics of the handguard and how it fits? Maybe pic about the mods for the ultimak?

Here's a better shot of how the handguard was modified. I had to machine a bit of the side out to clear the ultimak.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/travisvgray/61B4BE8F-B506-4005-A474-E3D5BE65FF48-3308-000004C587D6F0DC.jpg

The ultimak is unmodified.

Man...that is a CLEAN rifle!...congrats on the design......

Were you able to Dremel the handguard to fit?.... or was a milling machine actually required?....

I'm guessing the milling was required due to the mounting straps with the Ultimak gas tube rail?....

How involved was the Bolton install?....did you replace a 45-degree gas block?....

Inquiring minds want to know...ha-ha.......

I only hope my finished project ends up as nice........

-

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:21:40 PM EDT
    [#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks good!

It's a carolina shooter supply handguard for a Saiga. It works on the AK as long as you remove handguard retainer. It comes with a little barrel clamp mount. In addition, in order to make it fit with the Ultimak Gas tube, I had to have a section machined off both sides for it to fit.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/travisvgray/FBD1ED5A-0765-4C8F-BBC9-8BF8A21A8D34-2692-000003DC5E05BC84.jpg

SICARIO,

Is this the handguard?.........

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-615/SAIGA-12-AR-FOREARM/Detail

I did a few searches and this is the closest I could find....

I didn't think it was the "long" version...

THANKS...

-

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
    AK Sponsor: palmetto
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top