Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:50 AM EDT
I am looking at purchasing a saiga AK and have a magazine question.  I have looked through this thread and cant find the answer.  Will regular AK mags work in a saiga or do they have to be specific saiga mags?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about an unconverted saiga then it's a mixed bag.  7.62 saigas don't tend to take non saiga mags without some modification to the gun.  5.45 saigas usually will work with any mag you can find without modification.

If you're talking about a Saiga that's been converted in to an AK then it should take any AK style mag you can find.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is the mag wells are gtg. youll need to install a bullet guide as that function is moved from the rifle to the mag in the saigas.
Im 100% this is accurate for the 5.45, fairly sure on the 7.62 rifles.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
i've always heard 5.45s do not require modification, but 7.62s do.  I believe the 7.62's require a little bit of metal to be removed.  If I remember right there are a few youtube videos on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#4]
For .223 you'll need to get aftermarket dedicated .223 saiga mags.

OR

Install a bullet guide and use Galil mags.  Metal ones need no mods, poly mags need just a bit ground off the sides to work.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top