Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 7:54:18 AM EDT
I need two ban era thumbhole stock AK's to be completely debanned. I've been a Red Jacket customer for 5 years, but since they are Movie Stars now, they told me they have a 6-8 month lead time for work orders and are therefore not accepting any new work orders.

Sounds like its time to forget about Big Will over at Red Jacket and find a new AK builder. I've heard that In Range and Piece of History Firearms do good work, but am not familiar with any others out there. Can anyone here personally vouch for another builder they have used?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like to tinker do the conversions yourself. It's both easy and fun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Both are Bulgarian SA-93 rifles, one of which will be an underfolder, and one of which will be a full stock. I've considered doing the full stock myself, but I wold never attempt to cut the receiver for an underfolder. Since my both conversions will require a barrel thread and Gunkote paint job, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have them both done professionally. If I Bubbu'd one of them, I'b be puking like the guy in your avatar.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are Bulgarian SA-93 rifles, one of which will be an underfolder, and one of which will be a full stock. I've considered doing the full stock myself, but I wold never attempt to cut the receiver for an underfolder. Since my both conversions will require a barrel thread and Gunkote paint job, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have them both done professionally. If I Bubbu'd one of them, I'b be puking like the guy in your avatar.

Lol. It really isn't bad at all for the threading and I know a place where you might get to borrow the tools cheap. check around in your hometown forum to see if there's any guys local who would help you, especially somebody who has access to machining equipment. Also research the boards and YouTube.

I just yesterday changed out the gas block on my SAR1 and have threaded barrels, rfinished wood, swapped out FCGs.  Having access to some of the specialized tools (such as a milling machine and presses) is really the hardest part, the actualy work is easy
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Randy Kline at Sledgehammer Arms does great work.   Very reasonable prices and turnaround times.  He's done several FAL and AK related jobs for me over the years.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Chris Butler at AKUSA has been my go to guy for years now. Outstanding work!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I used TheFiringLine in OK for a milled MAK90 underfolder conversion. Good price and 4 week turnaround. They make milled underfolder receivers and that's why I asked him about the work. Came out just like the factory did it.

http://www.firinglineoklahoma.com/
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I sent out some Quote Requests from the places you guys mentioned. Hopefully I get some responses back with descent prices, as I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of the two debans.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. It really isn't bad at all for the threading and I know a place where you might get to borrow the tools cheap. check around in your hometown forum to see if there's any guys local who would help you, especially somebody who has access to machining equipment. Also research the boards and YouTube.

I just yesterday changed out the gas block on my SAR1 and have threaded barrels, rfinished wood, swapped out FCGs.  Having access to some of the specialized tools (such as a milling machine and presses) is really the hardest part, the actualy work is easy

I've refinished wood and changed out FCG's, and am sure I can swap out Gas Blocks and FCG's, but I prefer to have a professional thread the barrel, and especially paint and bake the rifles. If I ever buy a Beater AK, then I'll be much more willing to try everything myself. But thanks for trying to motivate me.

PS.....I wonder what Red Jacket is going to do when their show comes to an end and long-time loyal customers like me have moved on to other builders who are not Movie Stars?  

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics is my go to guy.  He did a phenominal job on an AK for me this year.  You're looking at roughly around a 2-3 month wait from the time he receives your rifle until he begins work on it though.  For the level of quality, it's well worth the wait.  Prices are reasonable as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy at InRange is the way to go, he has good prices and super fast turn around times.

As for Red Jacket...yea, they are just starting to work on my rifle after 9 months. Keep in mind that I sent my rifle in before the show even aired and will quoted me with a 3 month wait at the time. So for the past 5 months I have been hearing in numerous calls and emails that my rifle due any day to be worked on, and only this week did I actually get a call from one of their smiths asking for details on my build. I am sure they will do a fine job, but InRange will be getting all of my future business just because of his quick turn around times. He can build an AKS-74U in 2 months, but RJF can't cut a barrel in 9
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top