Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 11:03:08 AM EDT
I'm looking to maybe buy an AK soon. I've heard that you should buy Romanian AK's if at all possible. I'm just curious what brands to look at and what brands to avoid. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#1]
A Romanian AK will definitely be an economical choice that will land you with a functional rifle that you are likely to be happy with. But by no means are they anywhere near top of the line.

Being relatively new to AKs myself, I can't give you much more technical advise than that, but others that can should be along shortly.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Romanian AK's are going to be the most common ones you can find. However, even within that, there are some that are considered "better" than others. For the most part though, I just stick to foreign receivers and barrels as the basic "want" that I have in an AK. All properly built AK's will shoot about the same. More money does not instantly get you a better rifle on this side. A lot of rifles are higher value due to rarity, or collector's value, or how pretty the finish is, or what type of stock it has.

For the most part, I would say that almost any Romanian built AK, from Cugir in Romania (not some kit build by unknown guy with a garage) will be about the best "first" AK you could buy. They are everything an AK should be. They function, and shoot where you aim. Sometimes they aren't the prettiest, but they work.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Romanian AK's are going to be the most common ones you can find. However, even within that, there are some that are considered "better" than others. For the most part though, I just stick to foreign receivers and barrels as the basic "want" that I have in an AK. All properly built AK's will shoot about the same. More money does not instantly get you a better rifle on this side. A lot of rifles are higher value due to rarity, or collector's value, or how pretty the finish is, or what type of stock it has.

For the most part, I would say that almost any Romanian built AK, from Cugir in Romania (not some kit build by unknown guy with a garage) will be about the best "first" AK you could buy. They are everything an AK should be. They function, and shoot where you aim. Sometimes they aren't the prettiest, but they work.

i would agree with this statement.  these rifles are imported by century and usually are of the series of rifles known as wasr 10 or the newer version the wasr 10/63.  front sight cant is usually the thing to look for as far as flaws.  but the vast majority of these rifles do not have this problem.  functionally they live up to the ak standard of impossible to kill and next to welding the barrel shut will always shoot.  there are duds of course but we are talking about majorities here.  now as far as top tier readily available aks the arsenal rifles are probly your best choice.  especially if you like the idea of having a legit russian made gun.  minus 922 compliance parts.  but you can roughly double the price over a romanian rifle for one of these.  so basically if you want a gun that will shoot then buy romanian, they usually run about $400. if you want something to oooh and ahh everyone at the range then the price goes up from there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have HAD 3 Century guns 2 wasrs(before i knew what to look for) 1 galil, all 3 were junk(1 canted sight not on paper at 100yds, 1 canted gas block caused some cycle problems, the galil had a soft receiver and beat itself to death in 800-900 rounds) I switched to Arsenal and have been very happy with them(other than the cheap paint over park) However my buddy has 2 wasrs that are uncanted and they have been 100% with a couple thousand rounds through each gun. So if you can inspect the wasr before purchase and see no cant and the bolt moves freely it is probably GTG.

JCS
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I just want to be clear on this, by cant, you mean the sight may be bent to the left or to the right correct? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just want to be clear on this, by cant, you mean the sight may be bent to the left or to the right correct? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have HAD 3 Century guns 2 wasrs(before i knew what to look for) 1 galil, all 3 were junk(1 canted sight not on paper at 100yds, 1 canted gas block caused some cycle problems, the galil had a soft receiver and beat itself to death in 800-900 rounds) I switched to Arsenal and have been very happy with them(other than the cheap paint over park) However my buddy has 2 wasrs that are uncanted and they have been 100% with a couple thousand rounds through each gun. So if you can inspect the wasr before purchase and see no cant and the bolt moves freely it is probably GTG.

JCS

Just to also clarify though. It is normal for an AK with a brand new trigger group in it to want to hang up slightly when you ride the charging handle back forward. Don't let that put you off. Pull the handle back, and let it slam forward, riding the handle can cause feeding problems especially if the rifle has a new trigger group. (Most you encounter probably will due to 922r requirements)
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If your going to buy and have the money then Red Jacket arms but for an economy stick Id ot Arsenal and then Century... Still since I have owned both Id would still build my own....
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

JCS

Just to also clarify though. It is normal for an AK with a brand new trigger group in it to want to hang up slightly when you ride the charging handle back forward. Don't let that put you off. Pull the handle back, and let it slam forward, riding the handle can cause feeding problems especially if the rifle has a new trigger group. (Most you encounter probably will due to 922r requirements)

Yes what Emegbers said, as mine was sticking/binding on the piston not what you feel as it rides over the fire control group. thanks
JCS
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]

The only Century rifles I have seen that seemed worth a damn were the ones assembled from Yugo kits...
but I've heard they were sub contracted out and CAI had no hands on that one
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your going to buy and have the money then Red Jacket arms but for an economy stick Id ot Arsenal and then Century... Still since I have owned both Id would still build my own....

old red jacket maybe.  but now you couldnt even give me a t shirt from them.  krebbs or waffin works would be a MUCH better choice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

old red jacket maybe.  but now you couldnt even give me a t shirt from them.  krebbs or waffin works would be a MUCH better choice.

Yes, it seems that they went all Hollywood....

They are to busy with a project that they have to complete in 2 days. Mounting M16 on a boat or mount 4 MG 42 machine guns on a anti-aircraft to shoot down toy planes...

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top