Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:16 PM EDT
Want to get an underfolder in 7.62x39.  Thinking of choosing between a WASR or Yugo M70.  Are most of the WASR folders now being built from 10/63 kits?  They have chrome-lined barrels vs. steel on the Century built M70's . . . . . . but I hear the Yugo's are fairly well built.  Barrel construction isn't my first consideration as long as they are new/like new.  I'm more interested in my being happy with the weapon over the long term.  I do have a WASR-10/63 that I'm quite happy with, but looking for informed opinions from those who are familiar with both rifles.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Are most of the WASR folders now being built from 10/63 kits?

The Romanians build WASRs by demiling an existing rifle and rebuilding it on an importable receiver. The underfolder rifles are built by using an UF rifle as a donor. Sometime last year the .gov decreed that the original barrel could not be used so the Romanians now install a new production barrel.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the Romanian's using the same production methods for these new barrels (i.e. old fashioned cold hammer-forged chrome-lined) or have those yet to show up over here for that kind of assessment?  It would be nice to know if they are different in any way, other than being what will certainly turn out to be more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The new Romanian barrels are chrome-lined, cold-hammer forged. Exactly the same as the old ones. Just newer thanks to arbitrary regulation. I would get the WASR. I'm happy with mine.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of the Yugos from AIM almost a year ago and returned it as soon as it arrived. I was not impressed at all, the plastic furniture was a turn off for me, the bore came all rusted and pitted and it was new lol, the finish was just about as good as a WASR but if I was going to buy one all over again it would be the WASR.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top