Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:24:18 AM EDT
I purchased a Yugo Ak M70 this past weekend and was wanting to know if I should buy spare parts? (barrel, bolt, etc)  I was wanting to buy a spare bolt anyways and the company offering Yugo bolts for $35 say the bolts do not have the later lightening cuts and I was wondering what is the difference between the bolt that came with my Yugo versus this bolt and will it work in the Ak I have now without any problems arising?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
A spare bolt is only useful as a means to keep the other parts together, unless you have the headspace gauges you need to check headspace and the tools and knowhow to adjust the headspace if, for some unknown reason, you wish to change bolts.
1. AK bolts are NOT AR bolts. They rarely break.
2. Bolts should NOT be regarded as interchangable. You can get hurt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess going from the Ar world to the Ak world as far as spare bolts, carriers, etc. is a different world than I am used to.  The stainless bolt that came with my M70 is a little worn and I just figured a extra bolt for the future would be a good idea.  I do have a go and no go headspace guage for 7.62x39 so I figured I would be good to go in the future if I would need a spare bolt (given the fact that the spare bolts headspace would be good to go) I know Ak's are built to run for a long time but just like every other weapon system, some things are bound to give down the road.  And no I dont shoot that much given the fact that my other firearms need to be shot just not my Yugo Ak.  Thanks guys for the information.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem with thinking of having spare parts.  A complete bolt is great to have in the tool box, in case you need to replace a firing pin, spring, etc.  The headspace gauges for 7.62x39 are widely available, so checking the headspace will be a must if you plan some day to use the complete bolt.  I have a spare for my AMD (another AMD Hungarian bolt, of course) that I keep in case of an unexpected part failure.  Just remember to headspace before use. I'm sure there are guys here that my loan them to you for a day or two.

Serb
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Just buy ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
this is not an AR. ammo and mags++
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
A ruptured case extractor might come in handy.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/akbrokshelex.html
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
2 things that are, in my opinion, essential - firing pin and extractor
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Firing Pin, Extractor, Main Springs (recoil, hammer, disconnector, extractor, etc)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Just get another AK for a spare.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#11]
ElRon,
How the hell do you use that thing?  I got one and was looking at it the other night and have no freaking clue as how to use it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Put the ruptured case extractor in the ruptured (separated) case.
Allow the extractor to snap over the rim of the RCE.
Pull the carrier handle to the rear which pulls the ruptured case out of the chamber.
I've had one for years and never had to use it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top