Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2009 4:56:48 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have a friend who wants to buy his first firearm.  He wants an AK.  I haven't been following prices for a while, so can any of you who have recently purchased an AK let me know what they are running for these days?  I live in Texas and we are planning to go to the gun show at the George Brown Convention Center, if that helps.  He wants to spend between $300-$500.  Are there still decently priced Romanians on the market?

When last I shopped for an AK, I bought a Romanian for $340 and a Yugo underfolder for $480.  Those were the days!  I cringe at the thought of what they are priced at with the influence of this administration...

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to find a nice Romy in that range. I believe the most expensive "new" Romys right now are the GP1975 at around $500.00. Paid $600.00 for my GP1975 a couple months ago. Prices have come down a little since then. If you want the original wood furniture look, you could probably pick up a very nice WASR in that price range, and still have some left over for ammo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
A few months ago the market went completely crazy and you could not find anything AK related for less than $800. Luckily, it has settled back down for the moment. At the GRB show you will still see some folks with a full table of ridiculously priced guns next to a table with the exact same thing at 30%-40% less. If you go when the show opens you should be able to get a Romanian for somewhere in the $450-$475 range but don't be surprised if all of these are sold by noon on Saturday and you are left with the $500-$550 guns after that. You may get it for a few dollars cheaper from an individual walking around with one to sell (there are LOTS of deals righ now due to people loosing their jobs) but don't expect it (this person probably bought it a few months ago for $700+ and probably still think it is worth that).

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
For what they are AIM Surplus has some good deals and excellent customer service.http://www.aimsurplus.com

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For what they are AIM Surplus has some good deals and excellent customer service.http://www.aimsurplus.com

QFT, if you don't find it at the gun show I would go this route or through Classicarms
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on where you are. By me gun shows & stores still have them over $600 for a WASR.800+ for anything higher.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Henderson Defense has got "Certified" AK47 with bayonet and pouch WASRs in stock for $469.

http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?productId=78&categoryId=4

Specs:
The rifle comes with the following:
- factory black oxide finish
- factory cold hammer forged chrome-lined barrel (resistant to corrosive ammo)
- Romanian brown leather or green canvas sling (no choice)
- G2 US-made fire control group
- slant muzzle brake
- bayonet lug
- bayonet with sheath and frog
- chrome oil bottle
- TWO (w) 30-Round Magazines (Romanian/Polish)
- buttstock cleaning kit

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
That last post is actually a pretty good deal.  As far as going to the gun show, I would avoid it like Swine Flu.  Gun Shows, especially lately, are merely a place where vendors go to gouge the living shit out of unsuspecting customers that don't know what prices really go for and just ASSUME they're getting the best deals.  The reality is your friend needs to find an FFL who will do a transfer for him.  Most all of them will.  If they won't then they're giving you a bullshit reason, which really translates to "I wanna sell you MY overpriced stuff."  In that case, I wouldn't do business with them anyway.

Fine one online and have it shipped.  WASR's and other various Romanians will be some of the cheapest right now.  No reason you can't find one in the price range he's looking at.  Although I think he'll be paying the upper part of that price range right now.  A $300 AK is a bit of a pipe dream right now unless you get lucky and find some desperate sucker.  Another option is a MAK-90.  Some of the better quality AK's on the market but are easy to find on Gunbroker and other places right now for around $400-450 because they don't have as much of the "fun stuff" like bayonet lugs and slant muzzle-brakes.  Also, they usually come with the thumbhole sporter which is easy to replace with an American made parts set and US made fire control group.  You can still get it all for around $500.

Something tells me you and your friend will end up at the Gun Show anyway.  Let him look all he wants but make him resist the urge to buy right then and there.  Friends don't let friends buy overpriced shit!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the poster about the gun shows being a waste of time and money. I remember back in the day when that is where you found cheap ammo and guns but not anymore.

And when you order online you have no way of knowing whether the sights are canted or the finish is screwed up.

But you can get one of those certified WASRs that have been inspected by Ron, and the crew.  I am a huge fan of Henderson Defense.  They have taken better care of me after the sell than any other online vendor has and they have earned my respect.  I highly recommend them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top