Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2009 9:20:59 AM EDT
One of the local gun shops is a little overstocked, and has been slashing prices on a few of his Arsenal AK's. My question is, are they really any better as far as accuracy etc. goes?
I will most likely be trading up a few things in order to get it. His asking price was around 850 - 900ish if I remember right.

What say you?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they are top of the line AK's IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I just called to see what he had. he has the following:

3 with Saiga receivers, two are SGL20's, one with the short stock and one with the NATO length stock, both for $875, and one other model for $895.

He also has a SLR107UR for $1095.

Does anyone know about those Saiga AK's?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Can some Arsenal owners post picks?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the UR only if you're going to SBR it. Not really worth it otherwise.

I've been very happy with both my Arsenal rifles. I'll post some pics later. BWS
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been very happy with both my Arsenal rifles. I'll post some pics later. BWS

What does SBR stand for?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does SBR stand for?

Short barrel rifle
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like Arsenals. Someone will come in here and complain about finish and their bad experience, but if you hand inspect each rifle before you buy, there shouldn't be any surprises. Here are my Arsenals, a 170CR and a SLR 105 turned into a Krink.

My Saiga conversion is still at the gunsmith, so no pics of that one yet. At the price these rifles go for, I would make sure you are 100% satisfied with which ever one you choose before you buy it. While I have never experienced any of the issues others have, there are still plenty who have. Make sure to check the finish and gas block and front sites.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Just bought a SGL20-41 less than a week ago and put about 400 rounds through it. Two failure to feeds with one particular steel mag I own, but that is probably a mag issue and not the rifle. Otherwise it was fun to shoot. I wouldn't say it is anymore or less accurate than my WASR-10/63.

It's a very pretty rifle and I like the AK-103 look. That being said, I'll still look to my WASR-10/63 as my go-to rifle and plinker. I don't care if I scratch it up or bang it around. My Arsenal Saiga will be a safe queen.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been thinking... I am just going to upgrade my GP1975 a little. Maybe get some nice kvar furniture and what not.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
In their heyday, when they imported milled receiver rifles from Bulgaria, they were the best out there as far as AK's in the U.S. go.

I think the latest Saiga based stamped receiver rifles are excellent for an AK, but their milled in Bulgaria receiver guns were the best.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Some pics of the SLR106FR and SLR107FR. I've used both rifles at our local match. BSW

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
very nice! Mine came with the solid also, but I really like the triangle folder.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You cant go wrong with any of them your talking about.
Just think of ammo and what you like to shoot.
Old school ! New School !
Maby both ?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]

SLR105 converted to side folder with PK-AS

SLR107UR

$1095 for a 107UR isn't a bad price these days...add 200 for the stamp and you're looking at $1300ish for a full blown factory Krink. Not bad at all.

Z
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]
you always have to throw that 105 in there don't you Tex? Bastard!

yeah, I'm jealous
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
No pics, but I have an Arsenal 107F, and have been very pleased.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I have put approx 1000 rounds downrange through my 106fr. It has been perfect-no problems so far. It is my only Arsenal, but I am completely satisfied with it. It does what an AK is supposed to do-shoot, shoot, shoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 4:02:06 AM EDT
[#18]
That's not bad pricing at all on the SGL-20s or the SLR-107UR.

I'd buy the SGL-20, much better rifle than the GP75 (which is a US built gun from a parts kit on a US receiver). All factory new with chrome lined barrel built in Russia were the AK-74M and the AK-100 series are built, uses enough US parts to be legal, and has Russian arsenal markings. Mine is pretty accurate, I've shot tighter groups with it than my 107FR.

SLR-107UR would be awsome as a SBR OR to resale down the road. I remember seeing these for ~$1200-1300 before the election.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been thinking... I am just going to upgrade my GP1975 a little. Maybe get some nice kvar furniture and what not.

Excellent decision.
Your GP 75 is better rifle than that fudd gun Saiga converted to look like AK.

Link Posted: 7/2/2009 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think Saiga's are fudd AK's, particularly the SGL20 series. It's about the closet thing you can get to a Russian manufactured AK.
As for look alike, any AK with a PG and furniture looks like...an AK.

Saiga's are sporterized before they get here but when you convert them all the parts go back where they should be in the first place and they end up being a nice rifle.

Doesn't look fuddish to me, but I will agree it does look like an AK

Z
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't think Saiga's are fudd AK's, particularly the SGL20 series. It's about the closet thing you can get to a Russian manufactured AK.
As for look alike, any AK with a PG and furniture looks like...an AK.

Saiga's are sporterized before they get here but when you convert them all the parts go back where they should be in the first place and they end up being a nice rifle.

Doesn't look fuddish to me, but I will agree it does look like an AK

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SLR105A1/SaigaConversion-002.JPG

Z

And it even has the super cool, tactical drain holes for wet assignments
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
meh, the holes have been welded up

Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, since we're all posting pictures to fap to,  this was my favorite AK.

A Bulgarian SAS-M7 A1.    A milled receiver model made just 2 weeks after the ban ended.  1 of 200 imported into the country.

I've really come to appreciate the AR platform more in the last several years, so I recently sold it, but it was well made.

Link Posted: 7/2/2009 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really like Arsenals. Someone will come in here and complain about finish and their bad experience, but if you hand inspect each rifle before you buy, there shouldn't be any surprises. Here are my Arsenals, a 170CR and a SLR 105 turned into a Krink.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/aks/P1000405.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/aks/P1000334.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/Krink/P1000429.jpg

My Saiga conversion is still at the gunsmith, so no pics of that one yet. At the price these rifles go for, I would make sure you are 100% satisfied with which ever one you choose before you buy it. While I have never experienced any of the issues others have, there are still plenty who have. Make sure to check the finish and gas block and front sites.  

Indeed. While the ARSENAL line is by far my favorite AK (I no longer own any non-Arsenal AK's) the finish is pure crap. Be careful what you use on it. Best thing is to have it redone with something decent, like Molyresin over park, or Gunkote over park. I have a couple of SGL20's, and like them a lot. My first one is gone getting refinished. I have seen several as of late at a local store that had the black paint missing here and there, but that's what I have come to expect from Arsenal anyway. I would say that MOST of them are trouble frree, but the finishes on them are garbage. JMHO

Link Posted: 7/2/2009 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I have 2 107 FRs and a SAM7A1R, and all are very nice. Heres a 107 with triangle folder.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#26]
got my Saiga conversion back. 90 degree gas block is on it's way along with a cleaning rod. Then off to get refinished, just haven't decided on which finish as of yet.

Started out as a 20". I did the trigger move and the trigger guard. Rivet work is so so on my stuff. The pics make the rivets look like crap, but they are nice and round. This was my gunsmith's 1st 103

conversion, so he got the flat rivet on the rear on the wrong side, but I think I can live with that. Got the rifle and all conversion parts for $550 off the EE, and spent $200 for the barrel cut/crown and conversion.

Once that 90 degree is on it will be GTG. may not refinish it and just use it as my beater, for the price, why not?

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#27]
My Arsenal SLR-95.  I was going to change it over this Summer, but due to family medical drama that and other projects went by the wayside.    I did at least take it out to the range again, and honestly worry a bit about changing it over.  It is ridiculously accurate and I really don't mind the stock at all, unlike the thumbhole stock on my SA-85M.  I would hate to change it over and not be able to stand the feel of the new set-up.  I do like standard AK grip and stock, but I am just used to this rifle the way it is.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#28]
if it ain't broke.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
if it ain't broke.....

I know.  Still, I would like to give it a spin in proper form.  Thing is, I couldn't really change it back due to the modifications that would be required.

Wonder if the SLR-95 stock technically qualifies as "Warsaw Pact length" or "NATO length?"
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I think it's closer to NATO, but it's been quite some time since I've picked one up
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think it's closer to NATO, but it's been quite some time since I've picked one up

Just posted in the Bulgarian sub-forum to ask that question.

I have seen some of the plum-colored stock sets and like them quite a bit.  Plus I would love to be able to carry the cleaning kit in the stock, though I don't know if the plum sets have that feature.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#32]
On wednesday I recieved my SLR-106FR from K-VAR with the Midwest railed handguards that they are selling as a complete rifle. I bought it

when they had the sale on the rifles for about 975.00$ a few weeks ago. What an outfuckingstanding rifle, had a boner for a couple days now.

Will take it out in two weeks as im heading to Denver in a few hours. They make some good rifles.

Rx39
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Closest thing to factory rifle that you are going to get without paying preban prices. Never had a problem with the finish like some, but I only use CLP.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had some finish problems on my Bulgarian SLR-105 (or more accurately, paint) but I couldn't care less.  It's been used and it suits me just fine.  I've already shot the living shit out of it with several thousand down the pipe and I plan on shooting plenty more.  I'll, once again, be using my AKS-74 clone in this month's FDCC against a bunch of dudes who are almost exclusively running AR's.  I may not win but that's as much me as anything.  That thing will keep up with them though, bet on that....

And even....

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
refinished the Saiga with Brownells today. Will post pics here in a bit.

ETA pics

of course, when my new gas block gets here I will have to redo the front end...All these nylon plugs are starting to drive me crazy too. I may send it out to have all the holes welded and the rifle redone, when I get more $

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I say go for a SGL20.  Mine is the most accurate AK I have, and it has never had a malfunction.  The only thing that chaps my ass is they now came out with a version that has the accessory lug on it,  and you know I have to wonder about that.  I mean the SLR series has the second lug, the new Legion has the lug, then why not put them on the SGL40 HUH?  Regardless, I didn't notice until the guys here said something about it .  Fuck it, I don't use them anyway.  

If your looking to upgrade your WSAR, I say you cant go wrong with that either.  K-var stocks look great on them, and so does a 74 style brake.  Here is mine I converted, it started out as a post ban obortion with a single stack 10 rd mag.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

While the ARSENAL line is by far my favorite AK (I no longer own any non-Arsenal AK's) the finish is pure crap. Be careful what you use on it.

I have an SLR-106F on the way. What solvents are finish-safe? Which ones should I avoid? Typically I clean with old reliable Hoppe's no. 9 and lubricate with Ballistol.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have an SLR-106F on the way. What solvents are finish-safe? Which ones should I avoid? Typically I clean with old reliable Hoppe's no. 9 and lubricate with Ballistol.

CLP

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

CLP

Avoid CLP or use CLP?
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Instructions from Arsenal say "USE ONLY CLP" on the rifle...
stay away from anything else period...

I own 2 106FR's.. both shoot like dreams and eat "any" .223 or 5,56mm I can push down in the mag .

Yeah the finish leaves some desire .. but it's just that .. a finish.. easily replaced if you want something more durable ot high tech

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Keep it away from harsh solvents or you will see it's mascara run. You can always have the guys from Henderson Defense Industries work on the finish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I've used Hoppes 9 on my Arsenals. I try to only use it in the barrel, brake, gasblock and piston because if it's left on the painted parts it will begin to remove it.

DO NOT use gun scrubber/brake cleaner unless you want your gun "in the white".

CLP works, just not as well as Hoppes, and does nothing to the finish. Soapy water (used Dawn) has worked well on my Arsenal Saiga SGL-31 to clean residue out of the receiver, as well as remove the corrosive salts from my surplus ammo. I clean the barrel and any stubborn carbon with Hoppes then re-oil with CLP.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Jusr recieved my SAM7 back from Arsenal. The finish was flaking under the safty lever out of the box. A quick call to KVAR and to Arsenal and I had my RMA in hand. After a short wait ( I think Arsenal realized that it would take time to fix the issue) and since the rifle was unfired, the sent a replacement. I was quite satisfied with the service. The finish issue is the only issue I came across in my research so be aware but do not let that stop you from buying one. I will deal with any future ifinish issues (only use CLP) and be jazzed with the overall quality of the rifle. The milled reciever may be a bit heavy but it's solid as a rock. If you are concerned with acuracy go with the mille reciever.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I just picked up a 107cr.  I'm very happy with it.  It shoots great and the finish is actually better than I had planned.  I'll have to post some pics when I get my aimpoint mount for the ultimak.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a SAM-7 and really like it.

I can hit  soup cans (~24oz) at 100 yards off hand with regularity - It's fun to chase 'em around.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top