BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2009 4:47:32 PM EDT

AUCTION
It says single stack - somebody buy one and see how it converts.  

-––Info from another board––- " Yes the back of the receiver is cut, and yes it
is a single stack rifle. The receiver is dimpled but there are extra
plates welded into the receiver to guide the skinny plastic single
stack mag. Even with these negatives - it is one of the most nicely
made AKs I have ever seen and is VERY solid feeling. Does anyone know
if these can be converted to hicap?"

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I took care of it...

Been waiting for these to hit the market for a long time.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the story behind these?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They are the Yugo version on the Romanian WASR..imported as a signal stack sporting rifle...but look to be much, much higher quality....
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are the Yugo version on the Romanian WASR..imported as a signal stack sporting rifle...but look to be much, much higher quality....

I didn't think Yugo AK's were still made... Now that Yugoslavia is gone.

Interesting.

ETA: Are they brand new or parts kits built on new receivers?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
OST
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't think Yugo AK's were still made...

Now that Yugoslavia is gone.
Interesting.

Yugoslavia may be no more, but Serbia (where the Zastava factory is located) is alive and kicking.

These are brand new factory rifles, not parts kit builds.   100% Serbian.  The quality will be excellent.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Can it be threaded and does it have a bayonet lug/bayonet fangs for a true AK47 bayonet?
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
It appears they are being posted one at a time, damn my lack of funds, go get em.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130845534
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The furniture looks kinda decent, and the thumbhole stock looks a lot better than the Maks.

If someone could devise a relatively easy method to convert to high capacity magazines, I

might buy one as they are only $400!
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
At that price right now they'd make great project/tinker rifles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't think Yugo AK's were still made... Now that Yugoslavia is gone.

Interesting.

Yugoslavia may be no more, but Serbia (where the Zastava factory is located) is alive and kicking.

These are brand new factory rifles, not parts kit builds.   100% Serbian.  The quality will be excellent.

1+

I was looking over a Remington 798 (long action Zastava built Mauser) in Cabela's the other day & it is a beautiful rifle with excellent fit & finish. Zastava is very good at making rifles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if you convert it to double stack, won't that violate 922(r)?  Sorry, AK noob here.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Even if you convert it to double stack, won't that violate 922(r)?  Sorry, AK noob here.

Only if you don't replace enough foregin made parts with US made parts.

What the law boils down to is that you cannot have more than 10 foregin made parts on any military style weapon, so as long as you get the foregin parts count down to 10, you're good to go.

This link will help you figure it all out.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

ETA:

If you leave it as is, it is perfectly legal since it is a single stack & doesn't have a true pistol grip.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully more product in the market place will drive AK prices down. These could be great shooters.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Why couldn't they just build the gun right in the first place?

Take the same import/modification routine that provides us with postban-style WASRs and apply them to this gun. Just don't inviolve a company like Century in the process.

The result would be a well-made crowd-pleaser that could still carry a great price tag.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Take the same import/modification routine that provides us with postban-style WASRs and apply them to this gun. Just don't inviolve a company like Century in the process.

The result would be a well-made crowd-pleaser that could still carry a great price tag.

Personally, I'd rather do the work myself rather than trust some angry beaver (because you know Century is gonna snatch a bunch of these up) with a Dremel. And if some company got involved in converting them, you can bet that they will be going for $600+.

Look at it this way, these rifles are akin to buying a brand spankin new M-70 parts kit, only cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was looking over a Remington 798 (long action Zastava built Mauser) in Cabela's the other day & it is a beautiful rifle with excellent fit & finish. Zastava is very good at making rifles.

I just purchased a 799 (Zastava M85 mini-Mauser) in 7.62x39.  Very nice little rifle.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#21]
You know Century already has their greedy little sights set on these. Expect them sometime this year.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Is the back of the receiver straight cut, or slant cut? Enquiring minds want to know.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You know Century already has their greedy little sights set on these. Expect them sometime this year.
I can only hope they show up as much as the wasrs.

Here a picture I made by joining the two catalog photos. Shows a little detail. http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=g5jzkmi2lij&thumb=4

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The point is, this is an unexpected opportunity to get completely factory-made AKs, and Zastava has legendary quality. I didn't see it coming although I get the impression that it was expected by some. If you've never had such an AK, like an FEG SA85M or SA2000M, you may not understand the excitement. There is a huge difference in such a gun made by a factory that makes/made the military AKs for their military and ANY AK 'built' in the USA. No 922r involvement unless you modify it, and the modification to double-stack and full mil appearance is no problem except the mag well which must be done exactly right. All AKs have the internal magazine guides, but the ones in the single-stack are naturally larger and have to be trimmed back as part of the conversion. 922r could be taken care of with a Tapco G2 FCG and a USA magazine. In my experience, the G2 is just as smooth as my original FEG parts.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point is, this is an unexpected opportunity to get completely factory-made AKs, and Zastava has legendary quality. I didn't see it coming although I get the impression that it was expected by some. If you've never had such an AK, like an FEG SA85M or SA2000M, you may not understand the excitement. There is a huge difference in such a gun made by a factory that makes/made the military AKs for their military and ANY AK 'built' in the USA. No 922r involvement unless you modify it, and the modification to double-stack and full mil appearance is no problem except the mag well which must be done exactly right. All AKs have the internal magazine guides, but the ones in the single-stack are naturally larger and have to be trimmed back as part of the conversion. 922r could be taken care of with a Tapco G2 FCG and a USA magazine. In my experience, the G2 is just as smooth as my original FEG parts.

rpk spec trunnions and 1.6mm receivers / akm spec trunions and 1mm receivers big difference

as far as u.s. made guns go, there is nothing wrong with them if they are built right.  i have a polish fixed stock built on an nds-1 receiver that i would put up against any gun as far as fit, finish, and function.  nds receivers are just as good as any, they are obviously the choice of most buidlers and is actually a copy of the feg receiver.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#26]
The FEGs were mentioned to illustrate the factory build and finish quality - everything lined up properly, matching serial numbers and proof marks. The differences you stated in the trunion and receiver have nothing to do with function or quality - The Hungarian receivers are fully heat-treated and are very hard, while being lighter than the 1.6mm. I recently drilled a hole in one for a sling loop using a brand new Titanium Nitrided bit - it wasn't easy. In any event, the point was to illustrate how the Zastava is of Eastern European gun factory origin, like the FEGs, not to compare the two. Besides, the FEGs are known to be of very high quality by members of this board, including myself.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is the back of the receiver straight cut, or slant cut? Enquiring minds want to know.  GARY  N4KVE

They're not cut at all. They are complete rifles. And because they have the thumbhole stock & will only take single stack magazines, they are legal to import as complete rifles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Like 1saxman, the grand allure of these rifles for me is that you get a complete, unmolested, honest to God, factory Zastava rifle for the modest sum of $399. A screaming deal IMO.

These rifles were supposed to hit the US last summer, and I have been patiently waiting ever since.  I paid for mine today and it ships Monday

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not cut at all. They are complete rifles. And because they have the thumbhole stock & will only take single stack magazines, they are legal to import as complete rifles.

Receiver is straight cut but has an odd bracket that the stock attaches to.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, duh. I thought he was thinking that they were cut up like a parts kit. My bad.

That's good that they made the back of the reciever that way, so that a guy doesn't have to get one of those goofy PG stocks like they have for the Vepr rifles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Great.  This is all I need.  I've been trying to find ways to NOT buy more AK's lately.  I just bought my fourth and I honestly can't stop.  I can't get over that lame ass thumbhole though.  What a way to ruin an otherwise bad ass rifle.  At $400 I'd almost consider picking one of these up and converting it with a couple US parts and some Ironwood stocks.  It would probably cost me an extra couple hundred bucks total and I could slap it on in my garage with little more than a flat head screwdriver.  I've always heard the quality was legendary.  I broke up with my Serbian girlfriend a few months back and God knows she would have advocated them any day of the week.  I know Crvena Zastava Oružje (Red Star Arms for any posters that can't speak Serbian) doesn't usually chrome line their barrels but that can sometimes be a good thing and actually lead to accuracy.  I wouldn't be above owning one but I just got a Russian underfolder clone earlier this week.  Damn, this just had to happen.

And I know this was stated already but while Yugoslavia broke up several years ago Crvena Zastava Oružje of Kragujevac, Srbija is still pumping out arms.  It's about the only thing the Serbs have to make money with right now.  Anybody gotten wind of that new one they started issuing to their military recently?  That new M21 in 5.56 of all calibers.  That mother is BAD ASS!  They start inmporting that piece and I'll be throwing my money down in a heartbeat!  Hell, I'd even take a thumbhole if I could get my hands on a back stock conversion.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Were the heck can I get one???????????????
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Great.  This is all I need.  I've been trying to find ways to NOT buy more AK's lately.  I just bought my fourth and I honestly can't stop.  I can't get over that lame ass thumbhole though.  What a way to ruin an otherwise bad ass rifle.  At $400 I'd almost consider picking one of these up and converting it with a couple US parts and some Ironwood stocks.  It would probably cost me an extra couple hundred bucks total and I could slap it on in my garage with little more than a flat head screwdriver.  I've always heard the quality was legendary.  I broke up with my Serbian girlfriend a few months back and God knows she would have advocated them any day of the week.  I know Crvena Zastava Oružje (Red Star Arms for any posters that can't speak Serbian) doesn't usually chrome line their barrels but that can sometimes be a good thing and actually lead to accuracy.  I wouldn't be above owning one but I just got a Russian underfolder clone earlier this week.  Damn, this just had to happen.

And I know this was stated already but while Yugoslavia broke up several years ago Crvena Zastava Oružje of Kragujevac, Srbija is still pumping out arms.  It's about the only thing the Serbs have to make money with right now.  Anybody gotten wind of that new one they started issuing to their military recently?  That new M21 in 5.56 of all calibers.  That mother is BAD ASS!  They start inmporting that piece and I'll be throwing my money down in a heartbeat!  Hell, I'd even take a thumbhole if I could get my hands on a back stock conversion.

Go price some new M-70 parts kits & what it costs to build one. Compared to those, this new rifle & the conversion parts are a steal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy hell, I remember seeing a thread about this about a year back, and now they're here. With just a TAPCO G2 FCG, and an Iron Wood butt stock and pg, these would be 922r compliant, the fit and finish look to be excellent! I'm definitely going to be getting at least one. I also should get some saigas...

ETA: Would any 'wood' expert() Know how a similar finish, to the hand guards, could be obtained? I was thinking with maybe tung oil, but I'm so unsure.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a FEG SA85M and have handled Chinese, Egyptian and Romanian AKs.  While they are all good AKs, my Hungarian makes everyday feel like Xmas!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Anybody know if they will make 74s? Then we'll be talking
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Zastava never made a 74 copy because the non of the former Yugoslav nations ever used the 5.45.  Seems they're using 5.56x45 lately though.  Zastava in Serbia and RH-Alan of Croatia have both developed rifles for their military in 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#38]
POST PICS!!

CXS
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone have any idea how the quality of these rifles compares to the quality of a Saiga?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea how the quality of these rifles compares to the quality of a Saiga?

One thing these have in common with the Saiga series of rifles is that they are built in the same factories by the same people who build the real military AK's. They aren't demilled kits slapped together by some monkeys in northwest Vermont.

I have yet to see one of these rifles in person but I'm sure they are very comparable quality wise to a Saiga. I would not hesitate to buy one for $400 if I saw one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the back of the receiver straight cut, or slant cut? Enquiring minds want to know. GARY N4KVE

how come others are saying the receiver is cut on these?? does anyone actualy know if the recievers are straight or all fucked up????

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#44]
wow what a deal,  do they come with chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Zastava makes good stuff. Looking forward to seeing how hard it is to convert these to standard mags.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

GAH!!!

Why did they have to screw it up by engraving 'PLEASE READ OWNER'S MANUAL BEFORE USE' in a font size LARGER than what I typed???

That is rather disappointing...

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Hopefully these will be relativity easy to convert! Does anyone have more specifics? I would leave the gun

generally bone stock due to the wood being nicer than expected, but I would like to use standard capacity mags

at some point.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Do want!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top