User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 1:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still waiting to hear about the rear of the receiver.....
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone notice these are being sold using drug dealers' tactics? The first couple go for $400, then the next couple for $500, soon they'll be $1000 rifles.

I like looks of them, and really would like to have one, but I'll pass if this is the way they want to do business.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Damnit!  I did not NEED another reason to buy another !!  Oh well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Anyone notice these are being sold using drug dealers' tactics? The first couple go for $400, then the next couple for $500, soon they'll be $1000 rifles.

I like looks of them, and really would like to have one, but I'll pass if this is the way they want to do business.

I think the $500 ones were a different seller than the $400 ones.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm still waiting to hear about the rear of the receiver.....

If nobody chimes in before then, I'll be picking mine up from the dealer tomorrow.  I'll put the speculation to rest then.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Im interested in knowing about the slant cut receiver also, waiting for mine to come in in about a week or so.  If you get yours before then please inform!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If nobody chimes in before then, I'll be picking mine up from the dealer tomorrow.  I'll put the speculation to rest then.

awesome! pics too please!

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I emailed them about 6 months or so ago. This is the info I got from their rep at the time.

Is there an estimated time when the ZASTAVA PAP rifle will be available?
Hope to see them in the new year.

I also have some questions about the receiver.
Is the receiver altered from a normal Yugoslavian AK aside from only taking 10 round magazines?
Yes

Most importantly is there a hole for a pistol grip screw and can the rear accept standard Yugoslavian AK buttstocks?
No
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
well I prefer to be optimistic. Even if they are cut and need some special stuff, American ingenuity will create what we need.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The receiver looks weird.
Look just below the bolt.... there's some kind of "ridge" built into the receiver.  ?????
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess the receiver is cut, but it's not any worse than a VEPR. Maybe an ACE block can be modified or something.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
So just a lil dremel work in the magwell and regular ak mags should fit?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So just a lil dremel work in the magwell and regular ak mags should fit?

I don't think so. It requires a pattern and precision, along with some kind of jig. A Dremel is the last thing in the world you would put to the mag well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Na, I doubt it's anything that elaborate. A lot of auctions have retail price starting bids.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#17]
what is the deal with that screw near the rear  and top of the reciever and between the top cover and reciever??

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Yugos have a push button latch to keep the top cover on. My M64 has the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked my PAP up today and here are my impressions/observations of the rifle:

- The receiver is slant cut.

- There are "guide plates" for the single stack magazine installed in the receiver that will need to be removed when converting to double stacked mags.

- The finish on both the wood and metal is beautiful, pictures don't do
the rifle justice.  This rifle looks much better in person than in any
pics I've seen posted.

- The fit and assembly of this rifle is excellent, as one would expect from a factory rifle.  No Century monkey business here.  Rivets are picture-perfect.  

- Although the lower handguard is drilled for it, the rifle does not come with a cleaning rod.  No bayonet lug either.

- The OD of the barrel at the muzzle is .548".  Although on the small side, there should be enough metal there to thread to 14x1.0.  1/2-28 easily.

- The factory double hook trigger is smooth and light.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of this rifle.  There are some "features" that I wish were done differently (or not at all), but for what it is I am happy.  Worth the $399 price of admission IMO.  Pics to follow later.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the magwell unaltered aside from the plates or is it narrow like the single stack WASRs?

I appreciate the initial review!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is the magwell unaltered aside from the plates or is it narrow like the single stack WASRs?

Narrow magwell opening.

According to the Zastava certificate of authenticity, my rifle was manufactured on 5/12/09.  Obviously these rifles have not been in-country very long.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Narrow magwell opening.

According to the Zastava certificate of authenticity, my rifle was manufactured on 5/12/09.  Obviously these rifles have not been in-country very long.

My new Zastava test certificate says 4/27/09 may have shipped the same date. It's a .22 wmr Z5
I like the looks of the Semi-auto. Nice rifle.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I picked my PAP up today and here are my impressions/observations of the rifle:

- The receiver is slant cut.

- There are "guide plates" for the single stack magazine installed in the receiver that will need to be removed when converting to double stacked mags.

- The finish on both the wood and metal is beautiful, pictures don't dothe rifle justice.  This rifle looks much better in person than in anypics I've seen posted.

- The fit and assembly of this rifle is excellent, as one would expect from a factory rifle.  No Century monkey business here.  Rivets are picture-perfect.  

- Although the lower handguard is drilled for it, the rifle does not come with a cleaning rod.  No bayonet lug either.

- The OD of the barrel at the muzzle is .548".  Although on the small side, there should be enough metal there to thread to 14x1.0.  1/2-28 easily.

- The factory double hook trigger is smooth and light.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality of this rifle.  There are some "features" that I wish were done differently (or not at all), but for what it is I am happy.  Worth the $399 price of admission IMO.  Pics to follow later.

Did you notice of the barrel was chrome lined?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#24]
i doubt there is chrome lining on a zastava/yugo bore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yugos have a push button latch to keep the top cover on. My M64 has the same thing.

Yep, I've read it's to keep the top cover secure when using the rifle with grenades...something the Yugo's seemed fond of tailoring their rifles for (think flip up grenade sight).

Tag for pics of the carnage...I want to see how badly the back of the receiver is buggered. The fact that WASRs can take regular AK furniture is one of their redeeming qualitys...hopefully a thumbhole to pistol grip/stock conversion isn't impossible on these new Yugos.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#26]
SLANT cut rec/single stack/no chrome lining = no buy for me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Im interested in knowing about the slant cut receiver also, waiting for mine to come in in about a week or so.  If you get yours before then please inform!

The rear tunion rivets don't look like they are in the normal position.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
well I prefer to be optimistic. Even if they are cut and need some special stuff, American ingenuity will create what we need.

True given that parts kits are almost $400 now.  If we can build AKs from demilled kits we can modify these receivers to take a normal or semi normal stocks.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't think so. It requires a pattern and precision, along with some kind of jig. A Dremel is the last thing in the world you would put to the mag well.

Apparently, some people disagree with this statement
Opening an AK Mag Well
Another Mag Well Opening tutorial

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Hey - nobody said you have to buy one.

In the Ordinary World MOST people just Buy a Gun and shoot it (or put it in the closet).

But we have enough FANATICS on this Board to result in a Shitload of Modified Serbian Boom Sticks  

$500 for a completely Euro made AK plus a couple hundred for conversion is STILL Better

than $1K + for a U.S. clone.

Heck , looks like just a buttstock ,pistol grip, and a little surgery will get you goin.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Why are they importing them in such a butchered configuration? I'd buy one if a normal stock could be mounted. Opening the magwell up is easy, but once that receiver is cut, it's cut for good.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why are they importing them in such a butchered configuration? I'd buy one if a normal stock could be mounted. Opening the magwell up is easy, but once that receiver is cut, it's cut for good.

Unless your the kind of welder that can TIG two aluminum cans together and have them water tight.  

It just means I need to buy some more 1.5mm sheet steel.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Just wait for the Century versions. They'll be along soon...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]
If enough get imported than maybe Mat at Ironwood will make a run on some stocks that will work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#35]

The rivets seem to be in the right place.  I wonder if the imported yugo has the bolt through the stock?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#36]
don't they Yugo's also have the PG nut riveted to the receiver? I wonder if these do also.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Doesn't look like much of the receiver was cut off from the two pictures above, mainly due to the rivet pattern.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
SLANT cut rec/single stack/no chrome lining = no buy for me.

More for me then:)
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The receiver looks weird.
Look just below the bolt.... there's some kind of "ridge" built into the receiver.  ?????

Starting with the M-70, all the Yugoslavian AKs have been built with a RPK style reciever & trunion. That's why it looks that way. Believe me, it's a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If Zastava Serbia has an exclusive contract with the current importer for wholesale distribution in the U.S , Century WON'T be touching them.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#41]
That whole read owner's manual thing is kind of a turn off.

It's hard to decide. 400 bucks is a great deal. It's just that stupid warning they put in there...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]
i got one today, serial number 85 from a gun show in PA.  

got it for 399.   IMHO it looks great, ill post some real pictures a little later, still finger fucking it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I also got one at the gun show today for $399. These are very nice rifles for the money.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If Zastava Serbia has an exclusive contract with the current importer for wholesale distribution in the U.S , Century WON'T be touching them.

I doubt that the contract is exclusive. Zastava is more than likely willing to accept money from any and all American firms interested in buying these.

Century will eventually get ahold of them, dremel out the mag well, add a crappy poly stock, and up the U.S. parts count. Hopefully, they're done decently and they ask a fair price.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I called EAA yesterday to inquire about the scope mount (accessory rail as they call it) for my PAP and they said that right now the priority is importing whole rifles and accessories and replacement parts would be available at a later date (no time frame specified).  I'll source the mount elsewhere.

If they make replacement parts available to non-PAP owners, that will open up an excellent source of new Zastava factory parts for M70 owners.  I'm already thinking about a set of these handguards for my M70AB2.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

For the love of God, can we just get 1 pic w/the buttstock off?

Please?

+1

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
+100!!!!!

I think i can find room for one in my yugo collection.

It will be strange owning a AK someone else put together

FREE

Quoted:

Please?

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
+100!!!!!

I think i can find room for one in my yugo collection.

It will be strange owning a AK someone else put together

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/12946540/263386456.jpg

FREE

Quoted:

Please?

Yugo Whore...

CXS
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Please?

Please someone, post a pic without the stock!!!!
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top