Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:06:26 PM EDT
who are the top four for fit,finish and reliability?

I'm looking at a Lancaster or a Vector are they in the top four?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Vector makes nice AK's.  Are you looking to have a kit built or buying one already built?  I'd go with the Vector if it's the latter.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
are you looking for a factory type builder that will crank out 100 guns or someone to do custom work?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
looking at two from atlantic
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
My HENDERSON DEFENSE fit and finish is so much better than any AK I've played with only 400rnd but no problems so far...
But I haven't had the pleasure of Fondling a KREBS, or FULLER....

CXS
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My HENDERSON DEFENSE fit and finish is so much better than any AK I've played with only 400rnd but no problems so far...
But I haven't had the pleasure of Fondling a KREBS, or FULLER....

CXS

the last two you linked are way out of what I consider a reasonable price for a weapon of the people! six hundred is about as much as I'm willing to spend.the links are appreciated though,thank you

Im looking for a more classic or historical looking shooter,I've got my stoner rifles if I want rails and such.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm happy with my Vector, but I've been giving the Henderson Defense rifles some real hard looks as of late, especially the AK103 "Afghan Edition" they have on their website.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
had a lancaster, great price fit and finish...awesome value for the money

hear good things about henderson and vector for value as well.  henderson has some good looking builds and seems from feedback exc cust svc

shot a krebs-awesome
own a red jacket build, love it, will is  building another for me
mario at POHF is going to do my russian t3 build
have fondled a marshall build, word is he is not taking any more builds-there is a reason...they are sweeeeeeet
chris at ak-usa ..again heard only great things and looks like he puts out a really tip top product
have shot inrange by troy, again very nice

just stay away from diamond dave at elite and you should be good
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Troy at In-Range! you wont be dissapointed!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Funny you should mention Troy and InRange.  I had recently sold an SA85M clone (it was the AK Forum's first Special Edition Rifle) which I purchased from Troy about two years ago.  I took off the Hungarian furniture and sold it to an ARFCOM member here, but it was replaced with NEW KVAR plum synthetic furniture.  The package deal also contained:

One Bulgy plum waffle mag, one Bulgy black polymer mag and one NIW Chinese magazine.  In fact, I even threw in one black German bayonet with sheath and another (Chinese, I think), with the deal.  The reason I did that was because I had previously stated in my ad that the gun would come with TWO plum magazines.  I couldn't find the other one, but I did check my receipt and realized I had only paid for one. I figured the extra mags and bayos would suffice in lieu of the "missing" plum mag.  He agreed and thought that was "more than fair."

The only flaws/repairs to be made were to stake the new handguard retainer latch, (the original had broken off), and drill the buttstock screw holes to mate with the trunnion.  All for less than $450.00.

Well, I get a letter via e-mail from this guy, and he's not happy.  He is very "disappointed" and wants his money back.  He was disappointed with the work done by a supposed professional builder and expected "a lot more."

I believe he used the words "rough" pertaining to the finish as well.  Something about the paint chipping off the carrier and that the pin holding it to the piston was drilled wrong.  (Obviously, I'm paraphrazing, but you get the idea).  He did mention, that he was NOT accusing me of "misleading" him in the description of the gun, but the aforesaid were a collection of problems.    

Of course I'm going to send his money order back to him...once I get my "goods" back, but to me, it's a reminder just how sad this board has been lately.  Look, if you're paying $800.00+ for an Arsenal that has canted sights, gas block or shoots 40 feet to the left, well yes, you have a right to complain.  But for everything this guy is getting for $450.00 and he is "unhappy," makes me not want to do business here anymore.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Bud
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:50:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
who are the top four for fit,finish and reliability?

I'm looking at a Lancaster or a Vector are they in the top four?

I just purchased a Lancaster "Blond" from ARFCOM member Nautilus.  I've got to tell you that this rifle is the nicest one in my inventory.  It's even nicer, (fit and finish) than my Arsenal "Classic."  Very pleased with Lancaster products.  BTW, I've purchased one other AK of theirs before and the same description applies to that one as well.  

Happy Hunting!

Bud
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Rifle Dynamics (Jim Fuller)

Best I've seen/shot/owned out of everyone mentioned and some.

Remember $600 is worth far less than it used to be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a rifle built by Elk river tool and die and I am way happy with it, I would say they built one damn nice AK.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Ted Marshall-Marshall Arms (listed first for authenticity in reproductions)
Mark Graham-Arizona Response Systems
Chris Butler-AK USA
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Vectors are fantastic builds....you will not be let down with one
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ted Marshall-Marshall Arms (listed first for authenticity in reproductions)
Mark Graham-Arizona Response Systems
Chris Butler-AK USA

You are the only who has a true list though I wouldn't put Mark Graham up there in the top four.

RR
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Based on my hands on experiences, in no particular order:

1. Troy @In Range;
2. Mario @ POH;
3. Jessie @ 762LLC; and
4. Henderson Defense.

I hear great things about Ted Marshal and RedStick but have not held or shot their products.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont see anything about Gary at Overland. He built a Polish UF for me and its museum quality. just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Ted Marshall
Chris Butler
Troy Sellars
The expert gunsmith from AZ who shall not be named
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top