Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:44:56 PM EDT
I have to say this is one beautiful rifle. It's light, balanced and has a very natural feel to it. Finish is way better than my SLR105 was originally out of the box...seems Arsenal stepped up that area at least, it's not that famous black ink anymore, it's more like a Saiga...very nice . I am really impressed by the workmanship for sure.

Sights don't look canted and as far as I can tell the bore is concentric, at least the diameter appears the same all the way around. Personally I can live with canted irons, I typically use some kind of optic but I was a little worried about the barrel. Looks concentric to me though...whew

On to the pics

SLR105 and 107 (stock out of the box) with 40 round Bulgarian polymer

Swapped the stock immediately and stole the Kobra

Stripped down

Outside

Love it!

Gorgeous rifle...I hope it shoots straight and doesn't have any issues.

I have a Samson rail on the way and will probably tacticool this one up, at least until I can send off some wood furniture to my man ZRecto. I think there's an SBR in this down the road too

Z
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Great looking rifle. Are you going to SBR it ? Also by adding the metal stock is it still 922(r) compliant ? I do not know if Arsenal uses USA made gas pistons.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to check it exactly for compliance parts to make sure the folder can stay on, but I believe worst case would be to use a US made magazine to make up the difference if it's missing any. My 105 has a US marked gas piston but the 107 is unmarked, I'd have to assume it's not a US made part.

I'm actually pretty fond of the polymer folder and may keep it on the 107 though...part of getting this instead of a Bulgarian Krink kit (besides price!) was this stock in particular, I wanted to try it out finally.  

No date for SBR, but I'd like to...been wanting a Krink SBR for a few years and may go ahead and take the plunge. Only thing ever really stopping me is knowing what legal-shmegal speak I need to get it done, but someone recommended a local guy who helps set up the LLC and whatnot for it, so I think he might be able to get me over the hump.

Z
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
NICE!!!! I am thinking about getting one also, Good choice. I really like your SLR 105, I can't say I have ever seen one as a folder, I always see them as fixed stocks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NICE!!!! I am thinking about getting one also, Good choice. I really like your SLR 105, I can't say I have ever seen one as a folder, I always see them as fixed stocks.

The SLR105 is a fixed stock version, but Josh Newton converted mine last year and refinished it in GunKote.

Thanks for the compliments!

Z
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I am debating if I should SBR the 107UR I have on order. I am not sure I want to spend another few hundred on it to do this. This is not to mention it will take 4-5 months to get the paperwork in and find a gunsmith to do the work.  If you do SBR it you do not need to worry about 922(r).
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey TX-Zen, tried sending you an IM, just wondering where you got that padded cheek rest, that thing is sweet!  I need a couple...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Got all the PM's on the cheekpad...just to let everyone know, its a Russian Tiger/SVD cheekpad.

I picked it up in trade last year specifically for these folder's but unfortunately they are really hard to come by lately. Looks like the supply has dried up and no one seems to have any idea when or if they will be back in supply.

Z
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The Samson rails have arrived...now this shat is cool

Z
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You know if you SBR it you don't need to worry about 922(r) anymore. Hope that pushes you over the edge. I want to see it SBRed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#11]
You know all this talk of SBR is pushing me over the edge and I am probably going to head that way.

Just so everyone is clear however, the regular US made stock is what's on it until I decide to go the SBR route...this triangle folder is cool, but just for photo ops.

Z
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You NEED to SBR it!  It is so worth it.  If you don't SBR it, you need to come up with some type of fake suppressor/barrel shroud, it looks very wrong with that bare barrel sticking out.  SBR seems like a pain before you do it but it is actually very easy depending on your state and your local law enforcement officer.  My wait for approval was 45 days and that was longer than average because the ATF NFA branch was moving to a new location.  Not having 922r to deal with can save you the $200 you just spent on the tax stamp fee in many cases

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You know if you SBR it you don't need to worry about 922(r) anymore. Hope that pushes you over the edge. I want to see it SBRed.

How does SBR'ing negate 922(r)?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This has been discussed at length and debated both ways. I've seen BATF letters strictly saying NFA/tax stamp items don't follow 922r rules as their not "sporting rifles".

But I've also seen letters saying the exact opposite of that. Who the fuck knows.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This has been discussed at length and debated both ways. I've seen BATF letters strictly saying NFA/tax stamp items don't follow 922r rules as their not "sporting rifles".

But I've also seen letters saying the exact opposite of that. Who the fuck knows.

I would think it foolish to try it then.  Ambiguity in the law can work against you just as readily as it can work for you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Hartzpad,

What kind of pistol grip is that. I like the looks of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey Hartzpad,

What kind of pistol grip is that. I like the looks of it.

It is a Russian Izhmash Saiga 12 pistol grip

Regarding 922r, I have never seen anything that casts doubt that an SBR doesn't need to follow the 922r U.S. parts count.  Do you have a document that against this?  The general consensus I have noticed from most NFA owners is that SBR's don't have to follow 922r.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the letter of the law:

Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of  testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Can someone post legal text showing that a semi-automatic SBR would be exempt from 922(r)?  How NFA owners "feel" is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the consensus comes from Full-auto weapons not being subject to 922r.  See the following on Inrange's website, there are a few other websites as well, but I (like you) would like to see something from the ATF:

Q.  Does an SBR have to meet 922r?

A.  No.  Since they fall under the NFA category of weapons, you may use imported parts in a SBR.

http://www.inrangec2.com/FAQ.htm
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
You can download the ATF's full NFA Handbook here (I don't have time to search all 207 pages tonight: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/0607nfa_handbook-rev.pdf
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:41:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but what do these bad boys run and where could I obtain one?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top