Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:35:34 PM EDT
I'm thinking about buying the ak-74 from AA. I have a few questions, first of all I live in illinois, can I legally install the k-var ak-105 short barrel modification? and if so is it a diy or does it have to be done by a gun smith. Also Is there anyway to get the ak cheaper since the k-var kit comes with the barrel and upper and lower hand guard?, I want the rifle to be  a side folder btw. Thanks/
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about buying the ak-74 from AA. I have a few questions, first of all I live in illinois, can I legally install the k-var ak-105 short barrel modification? and if so is it a diy or does it have to be done by a gun smith. Also Is there anyway to get the ak cheaper since the k-var kit comes with the barrel and upper and lower hand guard?, I want the rifle to be  a side folder btw. Thanks/

Not in Illinois can any of that be owned I believe.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of that?.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any of that?.

SBR, Sidefolder, Threaded Barrel, Bayonet Lugs, High Capacity Magazines unless all Pre-Ban, SBR etc.

Some of my family lives out there and this at least from what I knew a few years ago was true. However some have fixed stock Romanian AK's with 22mm FSB's that were exempt since no silencer was ever modeled to fit one.

RR
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't even buy the side folding ak-74!?, unbelievable.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I live outside of the city in the western suburbs, oswego to be exact.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You may do everything except the short barrel. A side folder is fine as long as you still use U.S. parts. Unless you are very good with a dremel, you would be best to have a smith do it, because it requires machining the receiver in a few places.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
No, I'm in Kendall county. God damn this state. So even if I buy the bulgy ak-74 from AF I have to convert the side folding butt stock to an american version?, wtf kind of an idiot passed this law?.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, I'm in Kendall county. God damn this state. So even if I buy the bulgy ak-74 from AF I have to convert the side folding butt stock to an american version?, wtf kind of an idiot passed this law?.

I think what the poster is saying is that you still need to have all of the 922 compliance parts. Your side folder does NOT need to be a USA made part. You will still need to have 6 USA made parts that count towards 922 compliance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I see, thanks for the information guys. The short 105 barrel is illigal in all of illinois right, other then that I understand about the US made parts.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top