Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:21:20 PM EDT
The wood romanian vertical foregrip.  Like it?  Hate it?  Cut it off?  Leave it alone? Historical significance?  Functionality?  Disadvantages (other than being ugly)?  Other info?
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Love it! Makes it look like an ugly three legged dog, which is a tactical advantage in my book!

No one is scared of the ugly three legged dog :)
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Just my personal opinion but NEVER cut them off. I cringe everytime I hear of someone cutting the "donkey dick". It IS a piece of history. I won't know how functional until I get one of my Romy kits built. But of you want a regular lower handguard go to gunbroker or the EE and buy one. You can always sell the vertical foregrip on the EE.

Plus there were different kinds if I recall correctly. One for a regular stock, one for the underfolder, maybe a third and then the matching bakelite rear and foregrips I can't find anywhere.
Cheers,
RWB64
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave it alone. Have one cut off and one orgional. The Orgional one is easier to handle after a long shooting session. When I first started shooting the un-cut one I found that I was swinging the mag out too far, and hitting the foregrip. I know that some trim a little off the fore grip to stop the hitting. I just got used to to not rocking is a far foward. Once the tab clears the mag catch you can drop in down.

Get yourself a regular fore grip and you can swap back a forth and see what you like better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Great for rapid fire (it keeps your hand away from the hot part)
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my Romy G fore grip.  Ugly but makes a hot gun easy to handle.  Easy to bump fire if your into that as well.  I did bastardize mine a little by shaping it with finger notches and thumb grove on the right top.  Feels better than the original slab.  Not historically correct...  I didn't get it for being correct, more like for being incorrect  I say if your going to cut it off, shape it a bit first, you might like it then.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I love them.  My favorite AK's are AMD-63 and I love that I've been able to put forward pistol grips on many of my AK's that aren't AMD's.  Only a small percentage of my AK's don't have forward pistol grips, and I hope to rectify that in the near future.  :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't cut it off. The resulting forearm wouldn't have the "swells" on it, which makes the rifle more difficult to control.
If you decide you don't like it, replace it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 5:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The lower handguard is pretty common to find anymore.  If you have an AK-style rifle without one, try it out and compare it to shooting with the wooden grip.  If you like it, leave it.  If you prefer not having it, find another lower handguard with one somewhere and cut it off how you'd like it.  Just save the original as sometimes they do have matching numbers to your rifle imprinted on the left side of the hanguard.  Enjoy either way!
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
It actually feels really nice when you're shooting it.  I have one Romy kit with it on and for my others I ended up buying Hungarian "standards" for the others...just for a more "authentic" look to my other AKs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I hate it when I use 30-40rd mags, it is a pain to get them locked in.
20-10rd mags are not bad.

It is a pretty comfy grip, but I have been thinking of cutting one off/down.

Anybody have pics of a cut off/down Romy grip?
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the VFG on my Romy.  It visually separates my Romy from my other AKs and just looks right for the rifle.  I also like the way it feels while shooting.  I have no desire to add a VFG to my other AKs, but I have no desire to remove the one from my Romy either...
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]

mfn
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The wood romanian vertical foregrip.  Like it?  Hate it?  Cut it off?  Leave it alone? Historical significance?  Functionality?  Disadvantages (other than being ugly)?  Other info?

No problem with mine. If you have a romanian AK gun with the vertical grip on it, I would give it a try first, see if you like it. You can always find a lower to replace it later if you want.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
AFAIK, If one wants the gun to look historically correct, the Romanian Army Ak's look like this:
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:36:19 AM EDT
[#15]
the romanian VFG is a great piece of equipment for your AK.....Use one and see if you feel the same way...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#16]
LEAVE THE FOREGRIP!

I thought about removing it so I could install an underfolder.

I thought about removing it for the weight.

I'm glad I didn't.  It makes shooting it more fun.

http://www.commonfolkusingcommonsense.com/pics/ak/nastasha-01.jpg

http://www.commonfolkusingcommonsense.com/pics/ak/nastasha-02.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to hate them, just based on looks, but I found a Romy-G AK at a pawn shop for $200 and bought it. It had the verticle handgrip. I planne don removing it and replacing it, but after shooting with it I really liked it. So it stayed!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top