Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2007 5:32:35 AM EDT
I've got a Saiga with Galil polymer furniture from Tapco.
I've been thinking about putting a stubby vertical grip (VFG) on it.
Saw a couple of pictures in the AK picture thread.

Anybody else got a "add on" VFG on your AK?
(Not the ones that are built in to the lower grip.)

Help me make up my mind with some pics.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#1]

TDI lower handguard and CAA stubby VFG.
FWIW, I have decided after about a year of playing with it that I prefer the AK without a VFG.  I think it's because of the magazine and how far out the VFG needs to be to allow rocking the mag into place, but the positioning of it just doesn't seem to be as strong / firm a grip with my arm.  YMMV because I'm 5'7" and don't have long arms.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same issue with the VFG and I'm 6'2". I bought a couple of the VMGs (vertical mag grips) and really like them. The only draw back is their $15 each and I have 6 magazines. BIG $$$$$ to out fit them all. But I have two and that should be good for now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pics Moondancer.

Those are the same issues I'm struggling with, and the CAA is the grip I'm looking at.
I may just keep mine stock.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I run the CAA SVG on a couple of mine, and will be putting a TangoDown stubby on my new AK-74 (bottom).

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad to know I'm not the only one with that type of problem with VFGs.  
I thought it might have been due to:
a.  short arms
b.  not as muscular as I used to be (54 years old now)
c.  too many years of shooting rifles with a "classic" stance, i.e. no VFG or magwell to grip. Prior to buying my AKs a couple years back every rifle I've ever shot had been bolt or lever actions.

I've been looking at a lot of the picture threads over on the AR side of the board and it appears that a fair percentage of the VFGs are mounted well back on the rails, pretty close to the magwell actually.  I think if I could get my elbow back far enough to have it close to my torso it would provide a more stable, stronger grip/stance just due to the muscle positioning.  As far out as I have to reach on the AK, it seems it's more arm muscle with less ability to bring the shoulder and chest muscles into use.  I'm not sure I'm saying this right, and I'm certainly no expert in anatomy but that what it feels like to me anyway.

Here's my current set up on the same rifle as pictured above, complete with the ever popular arfcom toe shot:
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Shooter521,
Are those Bushnell or Tasco dots?
I've had the Tasco, and really liked it on an AR.

Have you gotten the tube really hot since you've had them mounted?
I've read of some cheaper dots failing on the Ultimak rail after they get hot.
Thought about putting the Ultimak on my AK, but it will be a while before I can put a $400 sight on there.
If you'll get one of yours red hot a few times, and the sight still works, I'll get a similar setup for mine.

Thanks for the stubby pics.
I've got the Galil style handguard, and I'm starting to think I need to switch to a standard AK forearm before I could comfortably use a VFG.
By the time I mount a rail on there, and a VFG, there won't be much room left.

Old pic before the folding stock:
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bushnell red/green dot sight on an Ultimak mount and it works great. I ordered some low 30mm scope rigns for $6 off ebay and can co-whitness with it. Last range trip a buddy and I put 180 slow fire rounds down range in about 45 min and had no issues. If your FA or bumping I don't know how it'll hold up but for $100 I really like the sight.

Unlimitted eye relief, 4 different reticules, red/green dot, and 5 brightness setting for both.

Here is my sight
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Shooter521,
Are those Bushnell or Tasco dots?

Neither.  SPOT MkIII from www.mountsplus.com. Essentially a "generic" version of the Burris XTS-135.

Have you gotten the tube really hot since you've had them mounted?
I've read of some cheaper dots failing on the Ultimak rail after they get hot.

The AK-105 went through an EAG course last spring (~1100 rounds in 3 days, with some pretty high-volume courses of fire) and had no problems. I've even had even cheaper dots (i.e. BSA) mounted on Ultimaks before and suffered no heat issues. If you're talking ridiculous/abusive amounts of heat (full auto or back-to-back-to-back mag dumps), I'd be worried about the lower HG melting first!

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]
This is my old WASR, I did this to it a couple of years ago, now it's the home defense weapon.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the VMG instead of a too forward vertical grip.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:10:21 AM EDT
[#12]
GUTS,
Thanks for the pic.
That gives me an idea how a VFG would look on my handguard.

Thanks for the pics and info guys!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top