Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 4:19:14 AM EDT
I replaced my Bulgy AK-74 muzzle brakes w/Bulgy flash suppressors so took my 5.45 AKs w/Romy folders & PK-AS sights to the range to check for a change in POI. After making very slight corrections I set up 10 bowling pins from 10m to 40m out (appx the same as engaging torso-sized targets from 50m to 200m) and had a friend time me as I attempted to take them out as quickly as possible. I dropped all 10 pins in 14 seconds with 17 shots while using my left eye w/the PK-AS (as it was designed to be used). For me the PK-AS coupled w/the Romy folder makes for a very fast combination w/near-perfect cheekweld & eye positioning.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking of getting a PK-A... These guys have some and quite a bit of other stuff.

www.nightvisionweb.com
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the great thing about AK optics, you can choose the optic that best suits your needs and budget! I don't think there's anything wrong w/the PK-A, Kobra, PK-01 or any of the others but I find the PK-AS best suits my needs (doesn't need batteries for daytime use, irons instantly available w/o having the remove the sight, dual reticle for CQB/precision aiming, receiver cover can be removed for cleaning w/o removing the sight). Check out Freedom Opitcs , Yuri has a good selection at great prices.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Tomac,

Yuri tells me it would be at home on the side of my Saiga 12ga.

Yes/no ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tomac,
Yuri tells me it would be at home on the side of my Saiga 12ga.
Yes/no ?

Funny you should ask. I have a Saiga-12c being converted to "evil" pg/folding stock configuration and I have a PK-AS just waiting for it when it gets here. Yes, it should fit the Saiga's siderail w/no problem and (masochism mode on) w/a Romy folder should give me the same excellent cheekweld & eye positioning I get on my AKs.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
How does the russian stuff compare to the Us stuff in quality? I need to get something to mount on my Sar also.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How does the russian stuff compare to the Us stuff in quality? I need to get something to mount on my Sar also.

Think of the M-16 compared to the AK. The Russian stuff may not be as nicely finished or have as many bells & whistles as their US counterparts (the PK-AS being an exception) but they are usually very rugged & reliable. They "get the job done" at a price usually much cheaper than equivelant US optics. IMHO, of course...
Tomac
PS- What kind of sight are you considering for your SAR? Magnified scope? Red dot? What's your budget for this?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I am lookig at the one you have or maybe the PSV. Wish to have a red dot. I can't hit squat with the AK iron sites. Do you have to bring your head up really high to work with the site because of the way it is mounted??
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am lookig at the one you have or maybe the PSV. Wish to have a red dot. I can't hit squat with the AK iron sites. Do you have to bring your head up really high to work with the site because of the way it is mounted??

With the PK-AS it sits low and left of the receiver cover leaving the irons instantly accessible. You can use the PK-AS w/your right eye very quickly w/little cheekweld or use it with your left eye (as it's supposedly designed for) w/good cheekweld. I found the Romy folder gives me the best cheekweld & eye position w/the PK-AS. Because it sits so low you don't have to bring your head up much to use it unless you get the version that's centered over the bore (and it sits very high!) HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You use the left eye? i thought they would be a both eyes open like the aimpoint. I read in the specs that the black dot is always visible evan when the unit is not turned on. is this correct?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You use the left eye? i thought they would be a both eyes open like the aimpoint. I read in the specs that the black dot is always visible evan when the unit is not turned on. is this correct?

Both eyes are open regardless of which eye you use. I use my right eye w/no cheekweld for quick snapshots & my left eye w/good cheekweld when I need stability. Yes, with the red dot turned off you see a black dot w/a larger black circle around it (similar to the Eotech reticle). Turn the unit on and the black dot in the center becomes red. That's one of the things I really like about the PK-AS: It doesn't need batteries for daytime use.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Behold the reticle...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I love it!! The dot seems so small. is it an illusion??
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#14]
The dot is that small. You can use it for very precise hits, and supposedly the oval/circle can be a crude rangefinder, but I haven't played around with that yet.

The PK-AS is a real bitch to adjust. Either you must remove your receiver topcover (I don't feel comfortable firing with it off) or you must remove and then replace the optic on the rail between each adjustment. You must loosen a set screw, use a special tool to make an adjustment (no "clicks" either) then tighten the set screw and reattach the sight.

Another feature of this sight which is unique is that you can adjust it for elevation after it is zeroed. This mechanism is why it must sit either to the left or very high. It is an interesting concept, but difficult to get used to.

I bought one from Tomac and he just bought it back from me!

I still have another one, though. I am going to try it on my Tigr carbine with cheekrest as a conventional right-eye dominant optic.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Yup! That's right! I prefer the original version w/the on/off toggle to the newer version w/the adjustable brightness (KISS principle) so when I saw Thekatar selling one I jumped on it.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:19:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Tomac,

Did you say that you were going to put it ona 12 gauge Saiga? Damn, let me know how the adjustable elevation works on that...

BTW, why didn't you tell me you had a SVD bipod??? I also have a Bulgarian mag pouch that holds 45 rd mags! We need to exchange more info...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:34:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tomac,

Did you say that you were going to put it ona 12 gauge Saiga? Damn, let me know how the adjustable elevation works on that...

BTW, why didn't you tell me you had a SVD bipod??? I also have a Bulgarian mag pouch that holds 45 rd mags! We need to exchange more info...

Yup, the Saiga-12 could be here as early as Friday and the PK-AS I bought back from you is going on it. I plan on locking the W/E adjustments down tight against recoil, don't think I'll have much need for elevation adjustments on a shotgun!
Shucks and other comments! Sorry, the bipod's already sold and I just ordered a Bulgy RPK mag pouch from JNewt! D@mn, we need to work on our communication!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]
So... Over all I get the impression from most that the PK-AS to the left is a pretty good unit. But TheKatar states that it is "a real bitch to adjust." The biggest problem I have is that my left eye sucks and my right eye still works great. I've been leaning towards a PK-AS but now I don't know what I want.... Next gun show I'll get to check out the PK-A from the www.nightvisionweb.com guys... But they don't have any PK-AS. If I could only get one in my hands to see what they are like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:55:36 AM EDT
[#20]
If your left eye sucks (mine is weaker, but does not yet suck) you will have trouble using the PK-AS mounted to the left. The question is, how do you feel about a cheek-weld?

If you use the right eye, you barely have a cheek-weld. If you get the PK-AS-V it sits really high over the center and you have no cheek-weld.

I like to have as good a cheek-weld as possible. Tje PK-AS mounted to the left with a cheek piece would work well, IMO.

I would love to see the makers of the PK-AS dispense with the elevation adjustment mechanism and make a PK-AS which sits low over the bore.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So... Over all I get the impression from most that the PK-AS to the left is a pretty good unit. But TheKatar states that it is "a real bitch to adjust." The biggest problem I have is that my left eye sucks and my right eye still works great. I've been leaning towards a PK-AS but now I don't know what I want.... Next gun show I'll get to check out the PK-A from the www.nightvisionweb.com guys... But they don't have any PK-AS. If I could only get one in my hands to see what they are like.

I'm working on a deal to get yet another first gen PK-AS to put back as a spare and if I do manage to snag it maybe we could work out a temporary loan arrangement so you could try it out, you pay postage both ways?
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Tomac... Are you close to the UT border? Sometimes I wander up to Cache valley and a short drive into ID wouldn't be too bad. Sad thing is that I almost never have time to make the trip... I'll have to think about the temp loan thing.

TheKatar... My left eye is not horrible but it does get somewhat blury after 6 feet or so.... I do like to have some kind of cheek-weld and with the iron sites and Romanian side folder It works... I am impressed with what I read about the PK-AS but if it does not work for me then I'll have to go with something else.

I am looking to get something that will work for target shooting and jack rabbit and coyote hunting... Something that is made for quick shooting... And one other thing I want is something that will make it easyer to see when the day light is low in early morning hours and late evening... I'm not looking for night optics but just something that will make a diff in low light.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:12:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Hatchet36, I'm in Caldwell about 20m west of Boise. The Lagoon in UT is about a 6hr from here. While not as easy to adjust as some sights the PK-AS is much easier to adjust than the Kobra (my 2nd choice for the AK). When first sighting in the PK-AS I don't move the locking lever on the mount fully foward so it's easier to remove between adjustments. The PK-AS isn't for everyone but IMHO it's the best currently available for the AK. For those who prefer or must have the std "low & centered over the bore" setup then by all means check out the PK-A and the PK-01V, they'll give you the lowest & most centered setups available.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Tomac,

With the PK-AS elevation dial set to '0' I'm dead-on w/slugs at 50yds but 00 hits several inches low at 10yds. However, moving the elevation dial to '10' and 00 is dead-on at 10yds. So, since it only takes a quick second to turn the elevation wheel I keep it set at '10' for 00 use but can quickly set it to '0' if I want to use slugs. Worked out surprisingly well!...
Tomac
PS- The PK-AS/Saiga-12 combo is flat-out *deadly*! I can fire 5 shots before the first empty hits the ground!
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top