Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 5:05:14 PM EDT

below im going left to right, starting on the left with the steel cased ones.

any info would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]

sweet jesus thats a lot of different brands of ammo. it shows the factory it was made in, however many factories produced multiple styles of ammo. ball, tracer, steel core, etc
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
L-R

Polish Tracer, Romanian Ball, Romanian Ball, Soviet Ball (Barnaul), Soviet Tracer (Tula), Soviet Tracer (Tula), Soviet Ball (Frunze), Sub-Sonic Ball reload using .303 british MkVII ball projectile and reduced charge, probably done in Rhodesia or South Africa, case made by Barnaul, Soviet Ball (Lugansk), Soviet Tracer (Klimovsk) Soviet Ball (Ulyanovsk), Soviet Ball (Ulyanovsk), Soviet Tracer (Klimovsk), Sovet Ball (Ulyanovsk).

The color tips on the tracers are worn off, but you can tell by their "fat" ogive compared to ball what they are.

1DD
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy cow! That man knows his ammo!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Holy cow! That man knows his ammo!

Impressive!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
L-R

Polish Tracer, Romanian Ball, Romanian Ball, Soviet Ball (Barnaul), Soviet Tracer (Tula), Soviet Tracer (Tula), Soviet Ball (Frunze), Sub-Sonic Ball reload using .303 british MkVII ball projectile and reduced charge, probably done in Rhodesia or South Africa, case made by Barnaul, Soviet Ball (Lugansk), Soviet Tracer (Klimovsk) Soviet Ball (Ulyanovsk), Soviet Ball (Ulyanovsk), Soviet Tracer (Klimovsk), Sovet Ball (Ulyanovsk).

The color tips on the tracers are worn off, but you can tell by their "fat" ogive compared to ball what they are.

1DD

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
L-R

1DD

You sir, are a god
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. I have been collecting 7.62x39mm cartridges and such since the early 1980s and have learned a few things about them over the years...

1DD
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. I have been collecting 7.62x39mm cartridges and such since the early 1980s and have learned a few things about them over the years...

1DD

What is the best all around 7.62x39 round?

Or

If you could only have one round, what would it be?

I have my idea what you might answer, just curious.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

Or

Im betting Yugo M67
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

Or

Im betting Yugo M67

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
There are several to choose from, so it's hard to say that just one is "best".

Quality wise, Finnish SAKO or Lapua 7.62x39mm has to be at the top of the list. Plusses are that it is brass cased and non-corrosive, minus is that it is not sealed. Apparently the Finns don't see that as a big deal, so...

Yugo M-67 is a close second. Plusses are that it is sealed at both ends but uses corrosive primers. (I'm getting lazy in my old age).

Number three on my list is Russian commercial, lacquered steel, sealed, flat based lead core FMJ. My entire inventory of 7.62x39mm is now Barnaul and Ulyanovsk fitting this description. I have had zero isues with products from either factory. I've never had issues with lacquered cases, it's non-corrosive and the price was right when I bought it.

Last on my list of the "best" would be any com-bloc surplus steel core ball. I feel the quality of this compared to the commercial offerings is better. I've had my ear to the ground since I began shooting and collecting this caliber and have never experienced or heard of bad surplus 7.62x39mm from China or any of the Warsaw Pact countries. Plusses: better penetration through cover, sealed, made to mil-spec. Minuses: less lethal, corrosive.

Notice that I have not used accuracy in my criteria. In my rifles, with my eyes, at the ranges I shoot at (under 200 yards) it's all been "minute of man".  For me, that is good enough. Quality and reliability is of more importance in my book.

1DD
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1DD

Or

Im betting Yugo M67

East German before the Wall came down.

East German before the Wall came down.

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top