Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2008 9:35:31 AM EDT
On my drive home from a buisness trip in Virginia on friday, I stopped in Cabela's in Hamburg, PA to pick up some ammo for my AK. Not reading the sticker fully, I bought 500 rnds of soft point instead of FMJ. Since they have no returns on ammo, I ran a few rounds though the AK. It fed and shot fine with the limited number I put through but feeding does some damage to the soft point on it's way to the chamber. Should I worry? This ammo is just for the range. Thanks.

BTW: Being a lefty, I removed the slant brake this time. Much nicer to shoot now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have fired thousands of rounds of the soft point through my various AK's and never had a problem with it. Most of the ranges around my part of Texas won't allow FMJ. I have heard of feeding problems with hollow point, never had any personally, but soft point should be no problem at all.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If it feeds, shoot it!  Alternatively, hang onto it for hunting.  7.62x39 is the ballistic twin of the good old thuddy-thuddy.  If you have huntin' spot where it's legal to take an AK or SKS, might as well stock the freezer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't hunt but thanks for the tip. Just going to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yet!
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yet!

I would on a "need to" basis. No doubt about it. No need right now. Let's hope there will never be a "need to".

Link Posted: 11/10/2008 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an AMD-65 type AK that I built from a parts kit.  That thing will feed and shoot everything!  HP, SP, FMJ, doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My only issue with it is it seems to be the least accurate of the various rounds I have tried, perhaps due to the tip deformity upon feeding?

Most testing I have read seems to conclude this ammo does not expand much if any.

Great as a plinking round though, at least in my experience.
No failures so far.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Plinking is what I bought it for so I guess I'm OK. Next time I'll make sure I get FMJ before making payment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the lack of accuracy. It makes a damn shotgun pattern at 100 yds out of my Saiga whereas even the Mil Classic is reasonably accurate to 200 yards.

I've got to try it at the 50 yd range with a good rest and find out how much is the ammo and how much is me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My only issue with it is it seems to be the least accurate of the various rounds I have tried, perhaps due to the tip deformity upon feeding?

Most testing I have read seems to conclude this ammo does not expand much if any.

Great as a plinking round though, at least in my experience.
No failures so far.

Not trying to argue, but according to testing at brassfetcher, it shows the 154gr Wolf SP to be a fairly violent expander and a very good penetrator. 7.62X39 Wolf 154gr SP Gellatin results

I would be very interested in any other gel testing results with this round if anyone has any other sources, especially with barriers.

These results actually have me interested in this round, especially at common self defense ranges.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The 154 grain Wolf S.Point ammo is not as common as the 124 (approx)
grain stuff. i used to see the 154 fairly often, but in the last few years, it
seems to be almost scarce.

Yes, if your AK will feed it and shoot it, then your fine with that. A lot
of folks prefer it for self defense ammo. And, with your intended range
use, it will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top