Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 5:33:27 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  Well I now have a nice quart of Mobil 1 synthetic to try as a lube, and came up with a new cleaning question.  I know hoppes #9 is supposed to be pretty mild stuff, and it seems to make cleaning my ak's bore easier by letting it soak a little while and then running tight patches through on a jag, but is this safe?  Will it harm the chrome lining to let it soak overnight with this stuff?  Thanks for replies.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would it hurt the bore?

To answer, I have done it many, many, many, many times with no ill effects.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you heard about ammonia in cleaners for corrosive milsurp ammo (to dissolve salts, also flakes chrome over time). Normal cleaner/lubes like Hoppes or motor oil are just fine with chrome.

And I am a big fan of letting the lube soak more and scrub less. Your plan sounds good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell, I have never had a AK bore so dirty that I couldn't clean it out with a few patches! I have cought the handguard on fire though!

It shouldn't hurt anything, chrome is pretty tough.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input everyone.  I knew not to leave ammonia-based solvents in any type of bore for extended periods, but thought hoppes would be fine on the chrome overnight, just wanted to hear others opinions on it to see if there may be something about soaking chrome bores that I did not know.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Good old fashion bight nickel plating (think 100+ yr old Colt revovlers, etc.) will be damaged by prolonged contact with Hoppe's #9. But I think that is the only thing.

Use that Hoppe's generously. It's cheap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
and that is because it attacks the copper substrate thru pinholes in the nickle, not the nickel itself directly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool! Thanks HM. I didn't know that.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top