Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:37:46 AM EDT
Bought a Romanian based WASR a couple months ago.  Brought it home, cleaned it, lubed it, shot it, cleaned it, lubed it, put it away.  I am seeing rust in the chamber and in the area of the reciever around where the barrel comes through, on the inside just forward of the ejection port.  Cleaned it all off, relubed area.  Rust has come back.  Anyone else seeing this?  Thoughts or advice?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#1]
keep the parts that are showing rust oiled very well.  Put a thick coat on and than put it into the safe
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If the ammo was corrosive primed you need to flush the rifle out with hot water to remove the corrosive salts, THEN clean and lube as normal.

A common sign of corrosive ammo is when it keeps rusting even after being lubed.
Just run HOT water through the bore and chamber, the gas block, and the gas tube.
Use hot water on rags to wipe the bolt carrier, front of the bolt, and the area around the chamber.
This will dissolve and flush away the corrosive salts.
The hot water will heat up the metal and it'll flash dry without rusting.

Then use bore solvent to clean off the carbon and bullet fouling and lube as normal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo was Golden Tiger.  Cleaner was Mil Pro-7 and lube was Miltec.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
heat it up really well, wipe it down with alcohol, and repeat that a few times.  then spray it with molyresin, duracoat, or gunkote according to the directions of the manufacturer of whichever finish you choose.

Link Posted: 9/20/2008 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
s.

Are you sure you are seing rust and not the built-up gunk of red primer sealant?

Starting to wonder now that I have been to the range and cleaned it a few more times.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2008 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bought a Romanian based WASR a couple months ago.  Brought it home, cleaned it, lubed it, shot it, cleaned it, lubed it, put it away.  I am seeing rust in the chamber and in the area of the reciever around where the barrel comes through, on the inside just forward of the ejection port.  Cleaned it all off, relubed area.  Rust has come back.  Anyone else seeing this?  Thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Are you sure you are seing rust and not the built-up gunk of red primer sealant?

Doesn't Golden Tiger use a purple primer sealant?  I know the bullet/case neck is sealed with purple.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I get similar crud with Golden Tiger.  It wipes off with my finger and it doesn't leave any pit marks, so I doubt it's rust.  It's either unburnt powder, powder fouling, or sealant (or a combination thereof).
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Golden Tiger is NOT corrosive... "word"
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top