Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2007 3:03:02 PM EDT
First, I'm looking at building a 7.62x39 fixed stock AK (AKM?).  Is there anyplace that lists the all the AK models that I might run into as kits in that caliber with the fixed stock trunion?

I'm working light on tools - I do have hammers, drill press, vice, Dremel.  No rivet, die grinder, press, or welding equipment.

So, I'm torn between whether or not to use a prebent 80% or predrilled 80%.  My concerns are mainly being able to actually rivet worth a damn, forming mag dimples and mag ramp (not sure what it's called, but it's the ramp at the front of the mag well), having to weld anything, and maybe even threading things (I'm notorious for breaking taps in steel).

Then there's the issue of whether to screw, rivet, or u-drive.  I'm leaning on U-drive while riveting the trigger guard, but I'm still not sure about which 80% to use.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Just this year, I have assembled 10 kits on 100% receivers.  While I really wanted to bend my own, I am glad I did not.  I learned a great deal just doing it with finished receivers.  In the future, I may go the 80% route.

What you do depends on your frustration level.  I put these kits together in order to enjoy the process and have a collection of AKs.  If it had been a nightmare process, I would not have accomplished what I did.

YMMV.  I suggest you start with a good 100% such as the NDS economy and a Romy G kit.  The hardest part is getting started.  Once you get going, you will learn so much so fast.  If you haven't read my thread that is down the page a little bit, I encourage you to do so.

Remember, Achmed makes AKs in a cave overlooking the Kyber Pass.  Building AK is not brain surgery.  You need a BF hammer, a drill and the willingness to not get too excited if you run into a problem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted: You need a BF hammer, a drill and the willingness to not get too excited if you run into a problem.

Great point.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do you live.  If you are near The Woodlands PM me and I will help w/ a rivet build.  I have the tools.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Spring, not too far at all.

Regarding the u-drive build, doesn't that eliminate the need to press out the barrel?  Just grind off the front rivets flush with the receiver, snap the new receiver onto the rivet stubs of the front trunion and install the u-drives?  Repeat for the rear trunion, leaving locating the FCG holes, rails, and trigger guard as the real work.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes u drives make it so that you dont need to remove the barrel, but honestly its not that hard. The parts are cheap and last a life time. I would take up the offer for help obn your first build, it will be good guidance if its not to far away.

Today i went and bought a 20 ton press for 180 dollars, i think it will be well worth the price for doing builds. I would suggest the same.

Pat
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top