Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
What is better when replacing your stock on a AK47/MAK90 Laminate or Walnut?  I don't know much about the Laminate stocks so any info would be a big help.
                                                                                                          Thanks, Taz
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
laminate is the same stuff that the Russians and Polish use on there aks....I would go with laminate
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
walnut is freaking pretty if done right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
laminate has greater strength and is less likely to split, but walnut has been used in gunstocks for a couple centuries, and seems to do the job quite well.
if i were buying furny, i'd definitely go with walnut and tung oil... no stain.
you just cant beat the look of the natural grain of walnut.

just my opinion, fwiw.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Is SAR furniture Walnut?

I have a set left over, will eventually get around to using it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is SAR furniture Walnut?

I have a set left over, will eventually get around to using it.

It's most probably beech. I do not believe any military AKs were made with walnut stocks.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top