Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:06:26 PM EDT
Damn this ae giving me a headache.  I have removed them from 3 of my kits and only messed up 3 drill bits..  I have been drilling them out and then hitting them with a pin punch. I have broken a coupe ad they keep getting stuck.  I have drilled them out with 3/16 and 11/64.  the punchs often get stuck.  This has been a major pain in y ass.   Are there any tricks that i am mising?
Thanks
Jimmy
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a drill press and clamp the trunion securely. Then I start with a smaller bit, like 1/8 and lots of cutting oil. Drill halfway, a little at a time, flip the trunion, drill through. Make sure you don't just blast the hole; drill a little then bring the bit up to clear the shavings and add some more oil. Then switch to a slighly larger bit and repeat. And then a larger bit, etc...  Make sure your bits are sharp. Obviously don't work up to a bit that's too big for the rivet hole.

Eventually the rivet will spin out and leave a nice clean hole. No punching needed.

Lots of cutting oil and allow the bit to cool. No oil and blasting a hole all the way through will bust a bit for sure.

Edited because my spelling-fu is weak tonight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep breaking punches and found a cheaper way. Grind rivits flush and then drill one side almost all the way through and then use big nails (10 penny ?) put in hole and hit with a 3lb hammer.

It does ruin the nail though.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
yes drill halfway thru then flip it over that way u wont be to far off from center AND u dont have the middle of the bit wanting to break
 i never had any trouble til the last one i did...reason i had trouble was i got in a hurry!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Second that last post, I got into a hurry on my first build and busted a bit next to my hand. Took me two weeks to dig out all the little pieces. Two lessons: dont hurry; use common sense
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
5/32" cobalt drill bit and a drill press.  Drill 90% of the way through.  Tap it out.  Works every time for me.  Just make sure you drill level and right through the center.  Its a good idea to grind the rivet flat and then mark the center with a center punch so your drill bit does not drift when you start drilling.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top