Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 3:07:45 PM EDT
Anyone else bought one of these?  I just got mine from my FFL, and i'm not sure what a new receiver is supposed to look like, but the inside of one I got is covered in rust...should this be a problem?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's just surface rust, then no biggie.  If it has rust pitting, then I'd send it back.  Anyone know who makes the ORF Yugo rec?  I know that they have a picture of the DCI rec but that's not what they're selling.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah, i do know now since its marked on there...vulcan...wish i had known beforehand...  

How do I tell if its surface rust or pitting? Wipe it away with something like a brillo pad?  I'm probably going to refinish it anyway, so its ok if it marrs the finish(or lack thereof in most cases on this one)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, scrub it with some steel wool or a dish sponge.  Might want to apply some naval jelly to it to stop the rust.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Vulcan??? ARGH..
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
How much did you pay for it?

First there are threads about poor quality ORF builds (both AK and 1919).  Now they are selling Vulcan (Hesse) junk.  man, that's disappointing.

Caspian
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
too much from what I understand...79.95 or somethign just under 80.  

The receiver doesnt actually look to be particularly poor quality, it just looks a little rusty, although this is my first build so I dont really know what to expect
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone else bought one of these?  I just got mine from my FFL, and i'm not sure what a new receiver is supposed to look like, but the inside of one I got is covered in rust...should this be a problem?

What kit do you have in mind to assemble with the receiver?
Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
A Yugo m70AB2 underfolder.  Im having serious doubts about assembling it on the Vulcan receiver, as the kit is in PRIMO condition, and I'm not sure if the receiver is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, Hesse is a hard name to hear, but their Vulcan receivers were a good deal at the time. I have Vulcan built kits and they function just fine. If you're not happy, send it back and order one from Harlan. You won't question one of his.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Yes, Hesse is a hard name to hear, but their Vulcan receivers were a good deal at the time. I have Vulcan built kits and they function just fine. If you're not happy, send it back and order one from Harlan. You won't question one of his.

I would have to agree with this.  I know it's a pain in the ass to send a receiver back but once you have your rifle built I think you'll be happy you exchanged it for a DCI.  Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I just built one of my M70 AB2's from the receiver I just got from Harlan. I don't really brag too much about other peoples stuff but the DCI receiver I used was one of the better quality AKM receivers I have ever had the chance to use.

I have used, Ohio Ordnance Works, Armory USA, Ewbanks, and the DCI is by far the best. I can't wait till they start making regular AK receivers so I can get my SA-85 built.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Heres a question - are the trigger guard/mag catch the same for Rommy's and Yugos?  I havent demilled the yugo I want to build on this kit, but I do happen to have a demilled rommy kit.  When comparing the 2,  the holes for the triggerguard  on the receiver DEFFINATLY do not match up with the holes on the actual triggerguard.  ARRRRGH.  Help!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top