Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:41 PM EDT
I am completely new to the "build" process.  I've been watching/reading as many posts as I can.  I've even placed an order for "Plinker's" two rivet jigs... still waiting on those.  
Anyway, I purchased a couple of Romy kit and did not have any issues breaking them down.  Barrel pin came right out (loud pop) on each with 20 ton press.  I later purchased two Eubanks receivers with trunnion holes already done... I'm starting to think that was a mistake.   The rear trunnion holes are almost perfect.  The front ones are almost perfect except for one of the holes.  It should not be much of an issue.  I think the rivet head will cover the egg hole I had to make.hinking.gif
Finally to my question..  I'm loose fitting the parts while waiting for the jigs.  My bolt carrier does not slide freely and the left internal rail is slightly lower than the rail on the front trunnion.  I know I can not do anything about the rail, but what are my options on the bolt carrier?  How freely should the carrier slide?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The carrier should slide freely, the ewbanks receivers need adjustments, I've never built on one but i've read that they need a lot of adjustments. Does the kit you are building have matching serial numbers, if its not freely engaging into battery it may be a headspace problem, if its not sliding on the rails properally then the rails need to be fine tuned. You can file the rails or use a dremel to grind them down, take off a min. off of each and check fit, repeat untill the carrier slides freely. Do this with the FCG not installed, slot of times the hammer pushes up on the carrier and causes it to bind. McM
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
what he said but wait till the rivet work is done befor you fit anythang :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on not doing any metal removal until the rivets are in.  Things will probably shift a little.  Having said that, it is a good idea to check the fit up as soon as possible.  I like to check it before I press the barrel out.  That is a good time to confirm that the piston is going to line up with the gas port.  If the receiver or trunion is out of tolerance, the problem will be magnified at the piston.  Sometimes that it will cause binding.  Also, if you try to shift the position of the trunnion in the receiver, you may throw the piston out of alignment.

Since you have a press, and you have advanced warning that everything is not perfect, I would press the barrel nearly all the way back in and recheck the alignment.  If the piston lines up OK, then the receiver is not warped.  If you can shift things so that the rails line up and the piston still lines up, then all you have to do is figure out a way to make sure it stays that way while you rivet (not easy).  If you cant get things to line up OK, come back for more instructions.  

I don’t mean to make this sound like a major big scary problem.  It is just that you are smart to bring it up now, because now is a good time to scope it out.  Chances are, everything is going to turn out OK.  AKs will tolerate some misalignment.  The tight carrier may just require a little rail filing after things are together.  You may also need to twist the receiver or tweek the rails, again, after riveting.  Don’t worry, I (and I am sure others) have survived both of these problems.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I found the Ewbanks carrier rails to be slightly
overbent and they did bind a bit on my polish kit,
some judicious LIGHT filing and sanding with
400 grit wet or dry smoothed it out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
yea, I looked at some ewbanks today, they went way past 90 degrees on bending the rails. looks like only about a 60 degree inside angle... WAY past 90 I'd frankly be surprised if any of them fit any kits without trimming the rails.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The rails are bent past 90 degrees for sure.  They even look slightly rounded down towards the interior of the receiver.

Thanks for all the great tips.  I'll update once I get the rivets in and squeezed
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
When you say the rails are bent past 90 degrees, are you refering to the upper or lower rails?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The Ewbanks are actually a 5.45 receiver that needs modified to work with 7.62X39. Just like working with a Tapco flat you'll need to trim back the ejector, trim the lower right rail and the magwell will need some tweaking.
I built a Bulgarian 74 on a ewbanks yesterday, a 7.62X39 marked ewbanks that is. And it worked so well that I didn't have any trimming or fitting to do other than drilling the trunnion holes. No mag wobble, they lock up solid.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top