Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 4:12:57 AM EDT
I just finished my first build, and was terribly excited. It functions perfectly, and everything fits. Now I see a BIG problem. Appearently, my annealing process was less than perfect, at least on the trigger pin hole. I have an 1.5" long crack going up from the small hole. Is there anything I can do to repair it, so I can at least run a couple hundred rounds through it?

I thought about spot welding a piece of shim stock inside the reciever, then drilling a hole for the pin. Or could someone skilled with MIG, TIG or wire feed welding weld the crack up? What about brazing? Any help would be appreciated. If you are a welder in OREGON who would like to give it a try, IM me please.

I hardened it with MAPP/OXY, then annealed it with just MAPP. I thought the blue color looked right. Then I put it in the oven at 500F, and turned it down 100F every 20 minutes or so, then let it cool in the oven. Do you thing I got it too hot, or not hot enough? Should I skip the oven step? Thanks for any help/suggestions. I'm pretty bummed, since it is my first, and other than this it works great.  I would just like to be able to fire it. After a couple more builds, I would probably rebuild it once I knew my system was working right.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd just spot a piece of metal on the inside and redrill.
got any pics of it.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I only did one build too. And my heat treating proccess stinked too, I had to redo it about 3 times (until I got it perfect), and yes my receiver did vapr (I had to streiten it little bit).

Anyway I would just redo it over again.

However if you spot weld little piece of metal to it(on both side of the crack), and redrill the hole (so that the pin goes through the second sheet of metal) the gun will definetly shoot more then 300 rounds (in normal firing conditions - not bump firing).

Goodluck.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:44:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've only built one so far so I'm hardly an expert, but I didn't  put mine in the oven. Also I just used a MAPP torch to heat the receiver both times. I have about 500 rounds through mine since it was completed and haven't had any problems yet.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'm only out $12 for the flat and $8 for rivets. I guess I can count my time toward education.  I just really want to fire this one a little bit. I think my more recent receivers are much better. Thanks
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top