Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:06:20 PM EDT
Obviously, you need a receiver.  but it looks like there are a bunch of different receivers for a bunch of different models... I need to make sure that I'm getting a receiver and a parts kit that work together.

1.0mm vs. 1.6mm?  trunion holes vs. no trunion holes?  Huh???

Maybe the first question is, which parts kit do I want (and why that one?).  It does need a legal-sized barrel and the correct number of US parts.  Then I need to get the reight receiver for that kit?

What is a good, reputable source?

Please no replies about "You're in CA, you can't have an AK"  That isn't a consideration.  No, I am not doing anything illegal.  I do have my reasons for asking, and buying a complete rifle is not an option.  I must be able to get a bare receiver (not 80%) and a correct parts kit seperately... that means no bizarre, unique, off-the-wall receivers that need a $600 parts kit that I can't find after tomorrow... please only info about commonly-available, inexpensive kits that are not "trash".

Oh, and how much work can not be done by a klutz at home with a screwdriver and a hammer?  I hear about heat-treating, rivets, etc.  Anything that requires knowledge or tools above and beyond what I have (next to none) that must be sent to a 'smith or machinist... 10%?  50%?  90%?  How much, roughly, is that work?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me ask another way, in case my first post is too broad...

What parts kits can be used with:

dpharms.com/ewbanks-ak47-receivers-trunion-holes-predrilled-p-113.html

Or:

www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
the ewbanks will take just about any AK-47 parts kit, the second one is only for a yugoslavian parts kit. id say go for the ewbanks and then get a romanian parts kit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Let me ask another way, in case my first post is too broad...

What parts kits can be used with:

dpharms.com/ewbanks-ak47-receivers-trunion-holes-predrilled-p-113.html

Or:

www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

What kind of kit did you want?  The DCI receivers (second link) are for Yugoslavian AKs.  The Ewbanks will fit many of the standard fixed-stocked AKs.  If you're going for a standard fixed stock AK, a couple more options would be the Ohio Ordnance Works (commonly referred to here as OOW) and Global Trades (Armory USA).  The highest regarded are the Global Trades or the OOW (excluding the safetly selector gap issue).

Edited cuz I can't spell no good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
And since I can't read very well either....

If it's your first build, go with a Romy kit and the Ewbanks.  You'll get a decent gun for not a lot of $.   The Romies really are a great little AK.  I'm building a couple right now.  All but one of the three kits I ordered look unfired.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the difference between Romanian vs. Yugoslavian vs. Bulgarian vs. Hungarian vs Chinese vs... Jesus, who doesn't makea damn AK?

What is 1.0 mm vs. 1.6 mm?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If it's your first build, go with a Romy kit and the Ewbanks.

Where would I get a Romainian kit?  OOW and Global Trades websites don't have anything close.

And are there other sources for Ewbanks receivers other than DPH?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

joeken.com has Ewbanks receivers for $45.00. w/ or w/o trunion holes.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Romy kits are all over Gunbroker.  About  $100.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is Ewbanks questionable like JoeKen???
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's your first build, go with a Romy kit and the Ewbanks.

Where would I get a Romainian kit?

I got my 3 from Cope's Distributing.  Hand-picked with a G2 trigger group for $125.  DPH I believe still has them also.

Quoted:
What is the difference between Romanian vs. Yugoslavian vs. Bulgarian vs. Hungarian vs Chinese vs... Jesus, who doesn't makea damn AK?

What is 1.0 mm vs. 1.6 mm?

The difference is where they came from, the quality control practices that were employed in building them and some cosmetic differences.  They are all still AKs and will work just fine.  IOW some are prettier than others.

1.0mm vs 1.6mm = thickness of receiver.  You will have to machine down your trunion and tang in order to use a 1.6mm receiever.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 for copesdist.com for a Romanian kit.
I just ordered my third one from them, my first two were unfired. Get the $124 selection with the G2 trigger group, it saves you some coin that way. Try DPHArms  or OOW for a receiver for the Romanian kit.

Are you prepared to do the grinding and drilling out of the rivets? I did see somewhere, that there are kits available that have had all the rivets and barrel removed and are ready for building. I just don't recall who. I suffer from C.R.S.

(Can't Remember Shit)
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why would I want or not want "trunion holes"?

And doesn't joeken have a terrible reputation?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The difference is where they came from, the quality control practices that were employed in building them and some cosmetic differences.  They are all still AKs and will work just fine.  IOW some are prettier than others.

1.0mm vs 1.6mm = thickness of receiver.  You will have to machine down your trunion and tang in order to use a 1.6mm receiever.

Why would I want one instead of the other?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the best fit possible, you would want to use the trunion/tang that came with your kit as a template to drill the holes.  They can be slightly off on the pre-drilled units.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would I want one instead of the other?

More strength.  I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a 1.0mm receiver.  I believe that most builds are done on the 1.0mm.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My trunion holes didn't line up for shit on the pre-drilled ones. It only takes a few minutes to drill your own if you mark them well enough.

I've never had a problem with joeken and I've ordered quite a few receivers from them, but I guess I may be the exception to the rule.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
check out DPH Arms...good solid reputation.

Go with 1.0mm receiver, Romanian kit to start with......that way when you make some mistakes on your first build, it won't hurt so bad.....

Then as you gain experience, upgrade to better kits......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
OK... once I have a receiver, can I assemble a rifle myself without any special tools or knowledge?  Or is there a certain amount of work that must be done by someone who knows what they're doing?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Alot of the tools that will be required maybe just laying around in your garage.  A 4" gear puller works wonders on removing the barrel from the front trunion.  A set of good punches will help knock out them rivets, a dremel tool is almost a must-have when building an AK, or any other rifle for that matter.  The only other thing that I can think of that can help make your build much easier is a 12 ton press...if not, you can always turn to the BFH to help remove/reinstall your barrel.

I started my first build with absolutely no knowledge of what I was getting into and I am now on my third build in about a month and a half.  I did alot of research on sites like this one, among other websites.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My trunion holes didn't line up for shit on the pre-drilled ones. It only takes a few minutes to drill your own if you mark them well enough.

I agree...drill your own holes.  That said you are gonna need more than a hammer and screw drivers to do the biuld. At a minimum you will need a vise , a drill(with good bits) and  some files. I would highly recommend a drill press(you can get a cheap one for $40) and a drimel tool.

As far as a reciver goes Im gonna suggest a Global Trade 1mm because it will require far less fitting than the ewbanks(Ive biult on both). Go with 1mm because that is what the trunions will readily fit and the 1mm is more than adaquit for a standard biuld.

Here is a great sight for not only biulding an AK but showing tools you can make cheaply
http://gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm

ZZ
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top