Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 9:13:54 PM EDT
OK I have finally recovered enough of my balls from where my wife has stashed them and decided to take on the tsk of building an AK.  I am extremely excited and plan on building thousands more..... well I did until my brother from Interstate Arms informed me about this new law.  Well I immediately called center fire systems and ordered one of their parts kits.  It is a romy underfolder rear with a yugo front with forend grip and chrome lined bore.  I have not recieved it yet but is it of the general opinion that this will be a decent build for a newbie?  Or is there something I should know like I have shim the hell out of it or I can only use rivets manufactured in China and shipped from Poland?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
good luck on the underfolder... I have built a bunch of AK's and I don't even want to think about messing with one of those! lots of holes to drill, er um, I mean dremmmel...

LOL

other than that, no problem!

(you might thinkabout getting a normal tang, or even a AMD rear trunion/folder, it's a lot easier than a underfolder, I think)

Oh, and the verticle foregrip will not work (unmodified) with the underfolder.

rivets? 5/32 X 5/16" works great for front and TG,  the AMD rear trunion  will need a 3/16 X 1 1/2"

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Sooooooooooo .......
I should buy another kit and start with that one???
I guess I never thought about the fore grip vs. the underfolder, that sux.  

Have you bought kits from Center Fire before?
Were they decent??
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't need a whole new kit-but you should get one anyways! Just a rear trunion and butt stock. I think CF has trunions for $12. Check your CC statement if you ordered online-I recently was charged $250 from someone elses order due to a glitch. I caught it, and they refunded it right away. They're a good outfit, but something to look out for.

Save your underfolder, you'll probably want to build it sometime. I've just about got everything to try my first build, good luck, have fun. Put a couple of golf balls in a sack, then put those in your wife's purse. It might trick her! I hate having to ask for my sack back!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
You may find that the trunnions are different sizes. I think your kit will be Yugo Underfolder with Romy front. If so the UF trunnion will be alittle narrower than the Romy front  trunnion. Some guys use some kind of spacer to fit the Yugo trunnion to a standard receiver. good luck
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
CFS should be off limits to first timers.  Although much of what they sell can be an interesting challenge to experienced builders, it is all to often a "something for nothing" dream (that all too often turns into a nightmare) for those that don’t have the experience to recognize the problems CFS should have divulged.

I would guess that over 90% of those Yugo/Romy combos are going into the hands of newbies.  An experienced builder would much prefer to spend a little extra and get a Polish UF.

First timers, especially those working on their own, should start with a standard Romanian kit.  And I would recommend spending the extra $10 or $20 to get the better grade kit.  The vast majority of first timers find that AK building is much more involved (and yet more rewarding) than they ever suspected.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Well shit.....   guess I better use my superior engineering skills and pay someone to do itI will just have to buy a standard kit as a first run then to get a little practice.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top