Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 8:44:22 PM EDT
I would really like to start building and I was wondering exactly what I would need to purchase in order to start.  I'm talking about barrel presses, dremmels and all of the other equip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, but there is no exact answer.  There are a number of ways to skin this cat.  Everyone seems to do it a little  (or a lot) differently.  IMO though, you cant get by without a Dremel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, these are the basics...

1.  Dremel
2.  Drill press (eveb a small one can do)
3.  Hammer, Punches, files
4.  12-ton H-press (some do AKs without one - No Me!)

Everything else after this is pretty much optional!  I am working on a photo diary of my AMD-65 build and it is in another thread here...  I have lots of other photos to get through...

Edit - This is very draft but here is where I am working on the tutorial on how I did my AMD-65...

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=563
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Personally, these are the basics...

1.  Dremel
2.  Drill press (eveb a small one can do)
3.  Hammer, Punches, files
4.  12-ton H-press (some do AKs without one - No Me!)

Everything else after this is pretty much optional!  I am working on a photo diary of my AMD-65 build and it is in another thread here...  I have lots of other photos to get through...

No, you don't neccessarily need a 12 ton press but it's probably nice to have one.  You will also need a good solid vise, a pair of bolt cutters for squeezing rivets and an angle grinder is useful for shaping the bolt cutters into rivet squeezers.  Don't forget to have extra sets of rivets too!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
For what it's worth, I removed the barrel with a pulley puller (~15$ or you might could borrow one).

And I re-installed it using a peice of all-thread and some washers and nuts (~$4.50).
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top