Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 1:29:53 PM EDT
I have a Romanian SAR-2 that my friend made an AK-74 brake for. I ordered the 22mm threaded
Romanian FSB from K-VAR, and successfully removed the non-threaded FSB.

Last night, I greased up the barrel and FSB with CLP, got the FSB aligned straight on the barrel,
set the barreled receiver in the vise, and started driving the FSB on with a rubber shot-filled
shop hammer.

The problem is the FSB has gone as far as I can get it to go with the hamer.
The FSB is still straight and not canted, but I can't get it to move any farther.
I need it to move .388 inches more until it is seated all the way and the end
of the barrel is flush with the threaded FSB. Then I can drill my two holes and be finished.

I do not have access to an arbor press, so that option is out. I called the local
gunsmith, and they don't have one either.  If I could remove the FSB, I thought about heating it in the oven, and putting the barrel in the freezer, and maybe that would give the
clearance to get the FSB all the way down,  but because of the gas tube being in the
way, I don't think I could hit the FSB straight on enough to get it to move back down the barrel to remove it.

Am I out of options, and need to send it to someone ( a professional gunplumber), or
can you guys think of another way?

Could I use a floor jack as a press?

All advice will be appreciated.

thanks,
Herman

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat the FSB with a propane torch and drive it on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Heat the FSB with a propane torch and drive it on.

Thank you sir, I will try that first.

Wish me luck, I am heading over to my buddy's house now to give it a try.

Will post the results later. Hopefully they will be good and not bad.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top