Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:25:25 PM EDT
I am having a bitch of a time figuring out what I should be using to do center supports...  Are the rivets for the center support supposed to be smaller in dimeter then the rivets we use for the rear trunion?  If so, what size rivet should I be using and where can I buy a bunch (Bulk of a hundred or many hundred is fine... I am tired of looking).

If you juys are buying steel tubing that will fit over the rivets you use for the rear trunion, where do you buy this and how it is sold?

I have lots of the proper rivets but I am learning that the center supports are a real hastle...  

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#1]
try here;

http://www.ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=22
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
try here;

http://www.ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=22

Thanks...  I did buy a couple over the weekend as Curt only had a couple in inventory...  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get a metal retaining pin from HD for like a dollar in the same section where you buy the hex head screws in the little baggies. The pin is hollow, so you can run the rivet or screw thru it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried the faily large (1/8-inch?) roll pin and these had too small of a diameter for the rear trunion rivets as well...  I am assuming that the center supports are supposed to use a smaller rivet but I need more info so I can order a bunch...

I wil try to find these tubes like you describe...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one last night, i'll try to get a pic or more details of it up later today when i get home from work..
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I tried the faily large (1/8-inch?) roll pin and these had too small of a diameter for the rear trunion rivets as well...  I am assuming that the center supports are supposed to use a smaller rivet but I need more info so I can order a bunch...

I wil try to find these tubes like you describe...

Those roll pins I got were 1/4 inch, IIRC.  The standard AK rivit is roughly 5/16.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been using 1/4" stainless tubing scraps that I get from the pipefitters at work.  They work like a charm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
What I bought from Home Depot was in a small white baggie, and it's called:

Tension Pin

5/16" x 2"
UPC:  0    30699 57248    9
Price: 55 cents

I also got this (just in case)

Tension Pin
1/4" x 2"
UPC: 0   30699   43378  0
Price: 55 cents

They are Steel hollow tubes, zinc plated. I figured I could cut them to whatever size I needed (whichever one fit best).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:47:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty sure the issue isn't so much with the tubing and supports we have...  the problem was with the rivets...  I had someone e-mail me indicating they had six rivets for the center supportthey can donate...  well I hope to trade them something back... After I get a correct size I will try to buy these in bulk.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top