Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 12:17:35 AM EDT
Had a good weekend building 2 kits for my buddy who just returned from Iraq and one for myself.

PMKMS and AIM for Scott:

Using this picture for inspiration:

I built a Romanian AIMS for myself:

Receivers were Ewbanks Gen2 from DPHArms. Kits were from my collection. Finish was sandblast, Caswell pre-dip blackener, and Shooter’s Solutions HD Manganese-Phosphate park. This turned into a BEAUTIFUL smooth black park job.

Overall, I’m pleased with the receivers. Yes, there are issues with them. They beat the living shit out of flats (for time & hassle) and until Global gets their act together with those stupid fucking dimples and mis-placed text, the Ewbanks beats them, too. If I had a tig to fill in that "drain hole" the Ewbanks would be great for most builds.

Scott got these receivers to me quickly with his typically excellent service.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
they look great
i luv the old style folders that hang way down
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job. I've used the Ewbanks gen 2 twice now and also like them. Just some minor fitting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Now I have to have a AIMS, thanks a lot! Couldn't leave well enough alone could you?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Where did you find the lower handguard for your AIMS ? All I see are the forward slanting lower grips.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Ain’t she sweet??!!  

I bought the kit a few years ago during the ban. I really didn’t like it at all until I started looking into the history of the Romanian AK. Once Templar posted the pics from the 89 Revolution I looked at the kit again & saw the light. Now this is one of my favorite Aks by far. I think I even like it better than my 74M from Inrange.

Interordnance had the correct foregrips a couple months ago. They still may, but you have to ask for them specifically.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw one of the Romanian AIMS (With the UF and front handgrip) in one of RustedAce's AK battlefield pickup photos...

COOL!

I think it's absolutely hideous though
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I did too until I saw that pic!

It doesn't get much cooler. I need one of those fuzzy hats!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I did too until I saw that pic!

It doesn't get much cooler. I need one of those fuzzy hats!

And some Romanian webgear, a little commie officer's pistol, and a tank to sit on
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Now I have something to aim for, very impressive build (s).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Oldtop. I appreciate that. It was a heck of a good time!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Another thing about your build..That's the only Romanian kit that I've seen where the front hand grip has a rear-ward tilt/angle to it...all the kits I've seen all angle forward....

Just a though.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top