Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:24:18 PM EDT
I have started removing my rivets.  I went and bout a drill press but have not used it yet.  I started drilling small and working my way up until the rivet spins.  My concern is that if it is not centered it will drill into the trunnion.  Some had said that they drilled and used a punch to knock them out.  What process have you had the best luck with if you do not have a hydraulic press?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
okat grind the heads off down to the trunnion level or slightly about, then drill out 50 to 75 % of the dia of the rivet. then pull the barrel ( or do it first ) once they are drilled and the barrel is pulled they will punch right out

edit: if you dont have a press you can drive the barrel pin and barrel out with punches and a BFH
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the barrel pins out with a vice and BFH.  The trigger guard rivets were a pain.  Next is the rear trunion and then I was going to pull the barrel.  I was hoping the trunnion rivets were a little easier.  I also bought a new set of drill bits.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
On the front trunnion, just burn off the rivet heads and punch them out..  On the long rear, sand the rivet head flat, center punch the rivet and drill it out almost half way on each side, start with low diameter bits and move up to just shy of the actual rivet.  

I don't drill on rivets with a drill press, I have  found that I have better feeling with a little battery operated hand drill/driver.

Also, you will know if you are drilling into the trunnions vs the rivets.  The rivets are VERY soft.  The trunnions are VERY hard.  My 2 year old could tell the difference.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Beancounter,
After doing two, my advice would be to drill nearly to the center like mentioned, but leave a shoulder down there for your punch.  Once you've drilled from both sides, you can push it out with the punch and some hammering.  If the shoulder gives out, then you can use the punch to bend in the top of the rivet and sort of make a head out of it.  Then drive it out.  My biggest problem on my first one was that I didn't leave anything to hit with the punch.  I drilled it out so there was very little left, but had a hell of a time getting the sleeve out.  My problem was aggravated by off center drilling.  I'm no good at finding the centers.

The first time I did it with my drill press, I couldn't tell.    This time I could tell by the sound.  The bit started making a tik tik tik tik sound when it found the trunnion.

Quoted:
Also, you will know if you are drilling into the trunnions vs the rivets.  The rivets are VERY soft.  The trunnions are VERY hard.  My 2 year old could tell the difference.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top