Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
Ok guys,
here we go again. Well, just finished assembling my best (looking) build yet. Low and behold the damn bolt one go all the way forward. It apears that the bolt isnt rotating into the fire position when it is pushed to the bolt forward position. It stops about 1/2" out of battery and will not close on the bolt. The kit is mix match Everything but the bolt matches and none of the other Romy bolts work either. I have tried 3 of them. Open for suggestions but im pretty sure this is just wasted time. (looks damn nice though.) Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks - Zap
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Will the bolt alone close on a go and not on a no-go gauge?  I.E. you checked head space?

Will the carrier go all the way forward without the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the barrel is pressed in to far. Even a "c" hair too much will cause the bolt not to turn.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
terma nator may well be correct. Seems that I read somewhere....maybe "Pookie's" web site that if your headspace is too tight and the bolt won't close....don't lose heart. If it's just an RCH off.... you can compensate by filing just a tiny bit off the back of the bolt lugs. Do this a little at a time just until you can get the bolt to rotate closed. Or you can go back and press out the barrel pin and move the barrel forward until the bolt will rotate into the locked position.....redrill the hole for the bolt retaining pin a size larger. If "polishing" the back side of the bolt lugs will do it...I'd try that route before messing with the barrel pin. JMHO and I don't know Jack !!!!!  TANKER
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
No way in Hell the head spacing is 1/2" off..Probably a rail hang up of some sort
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's see....

Isn't the spot where the gas piston hits the end of the gas tube / start of the gas block about 1/2"?

have you tried the bolt carrier without the bolt to see if it is hitting something?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the right rail lower than the trunnion guide?  Look for a gouge where the rail and the rear or the trunnion match.  Are the the same height.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that the barrel may be set a "c" hair to far in. I really didnt think that was it but.

1) The Bolt carrier slides easily to the home position when the bolt is not in it
2) The bolt will roatate if it is inserted by hand. ( not as easily as it should be is my guess)
3) The rails are straight. For sure and its not getting hung up on the rail or the trunion.

Lapping compound or slight sanding then?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think that the barrel may be set a "c" hair to far in. I really didnt think that was it but.

1) The Bolt carrier slides easily to the home position when the bolt is not in it
2) The bolt will roatate if it is inserted by hand. ( not as easily as it should be is my guess)
3) The rails are straight. For sure and its not getting hung up on the rail or the trunion.

Lapping compound or slight sanding then?

Just put the rifle back in the press (as if you were pushing the barrel out), and push it out slightly. Even if the barrel pin is still in it, it will move out slightly (since it was in too far).

I just had the same thing happen to me (That's how I knew how to fix it!)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Think i'll give it a shot, Thanks for all of your input guys. - Zap
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Bulgy -74 with the same exact prob.  I'll try that too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Sooooo, you did not use head space gauges when you pressed in the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine fixed tonight just a slight push with the ram and the bolt rotates.

I can't speak for them, but I haven't installed the barrel pin yet.  It's not headspaced yet.  I'm ordering the 5.45 guages soon, so that'll be last in the build.  I obviously would have fixed the problem when I went to headspace mine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Check headspace "WITH" the barrel pin installed...

Before doing any work to correct headspace be advised that not all AK type rifles will close on a "Go" gauge.

I have checked many rifles from "Home Builds" to "Factory Builds" and some will or won't close on a "Go" gauge.

In light of this I use the following methods...

#1 - If the bolt "WON"T" close on a "Go" gauge, I then check it with a factory cartridge. If the bolt closes on the factory cartridge, I consider the headspace to be good. If the bolt "WON'T" close on the factory cartridge, you have insufficient headspace and additional work will be needed to correct this.

#2 - If the bolt "WILL" close on a "Go" gauge, I then proceed to the "No-Go" gauge. If the bolt "WON'T" close on the "No-Go" gauge, I consider the headspace to be good. If the bolt closes on the "No-Go" gauge, you can then proceed to check it with the "Field" gauge. However, for me the "No-Go" gauge is the limit for me, if it closes on that gauge, I'll get another barrel.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
Check headspace "WITH" the barrel pin installed...

I think checking first without the pin installed (as a general reference) then again with the pin installed is the best way.  If something is wrong when the pin is out, you can fix it there.  If it seems ok, put the pin in and check it again.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
yep that was my site where I mentioned that.

You mention 5.45 headspace gauges, so I must assume this is either a Tantal or Bulgy '74 build.

Chances are, that headspace is correct and you won't need to do anything.  I've yet to hear of a headspace issue with a matching-kit '74.  But be safe, you only have one chance to not blow up your face!

Ditto on what everyone mentioned, with one caveat - you need to visually inspect to see if the barrel pin hole is back in the original location.  If not, then you'll need to drill the hole out oversized, then press in an oversize pin.  This is also on my website (forget exactly where) and you can search for it there.

hth,
- Jerry
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yep that was my site where I mentioned that.

You mention 5.45 headspace gauges, so I must assume this is either a Tantal or Bulgy '74 build.

Chances are, that headspace is correct and you won't need to do anything.  I've yet to hear of a headspace issue with a matching-kit '74.  But be safe, you only have one chance to not blow up your face!

Ditto on what everyone mentioned, with one caveat - you need to visually inspect to see if the barrel pin hole is back in the original location.  If not, then you'll need to drill the hole out oversized, then press in an oversize pin.  This is also on my website (forget exactly where) and you can search for it there.

hth,
- Jerry

Yeah, it's a Bulgy -74.  I agree that the headspace will be perfect, but I want to be 101% certain.  I have two of them, so the gauge won't be a bad investment IMO.  I always just line up the pin hole visually, that's been dead on on 4 builds so far...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top