Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 11:35:37 AM EDT
I spent a good part of yesterday painting my Romy.  I took it completely apart, ran a piece of rope through the barrel, then hung it outside.  Sprayed it down with brake cleaner, then waited for it to dry, frowning and grimacing as the now completely unprotected metal barely oxidized.  After it dried, I started in with the BBQ paint.  I made the mistake of thinking that I wanted to mask off my rear sight.  I taped over it and the breech face.  I recommend finding something other than masking tape, because brake cleaner makes the glue stay on your gun, and Goo Gone takes the paint off.    
Anyway, I let it set for 2-3 hours out in the sun, then moved it into the basement and let it set a couple more hours.  At about 830 I put it in the oven at 250, then decided that wasn't hot enough so I kicked it up to 300.  Left it for an hour.  Generated quite an odor.  Opened the oven door and let it cool.  This morning I examined it.  Found that I could rub off black stuff with my finger.  So, I took a paper towel and rubbed off a black residue, but the paint was obviously still there.  I took it downstairs, reassembled everything.  Put CLP on a paper towel and started rubbing it on.  Took the paint right off 2 of the rivets.  Lesson learned, rough up those stupid formed rivet heads.  I guess they were too smooth.  That was the only problem though.  I did wipe off a lot more black residue with the CLP.  Only time will tell how it will hold up.
Here's a pic in "zombie killer mode" with my newly acquired Chinese drum:

Before:

Can't tell much difference from my crappy pics.  Basically the top cover needed painting along with the rivet heads.  The barrel needed it because it would rust if left unoiled (after burning off the oil for instance )
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
i just did a howto on bbq paint

you used rust-oleum redo it with krylon you will thank me :)
also you need a higher temp or to cook it for 3+ hours
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks good, Jim.  I need to get one of those drums, I guess it was the AMD-65 I was thinking of that would take the drum mags.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top