Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:04:01 PM EDT
Just looking for some ideas on the best way to set the rear long rivets on a romanian. I don't want to have to by a special jig.

I've been using a friends jig set, and I'm getting my own shop together so I'd like to avoid another jig purchase if possible.

Ideas???
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I pound them down with a ball peen on a vise anvil. Then finish them with a driver I made. A piece of motor shaft with a hole started with a drill bit to give a rounded head finish works really well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was considering just making a little flat rivet jig and pushing it with my press. I'd make it out of flat steel and start a little divot with the tip of a drill bit.

Do I need to have anything on the backside??
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want both sides to be flat, no.

If you want to keep the round head on one side, you'll need one of these.

A divot made with the tip of a drill will make your round head look just like the divot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats what I needed to see. What size bit did you use??
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought it here.

Greenlight Arms
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Buying anything from Greenlight is damn near impossible. Could you check the divot with a drill bit and let me know the size?

I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there any where else to buy these types of rivet jigs? Greenlight never seems to answer emails.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought some real nice ones from plinker762.  They came with one of his jigs but you might want to contact him for just the block.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI, check Tantal's website, you'll see that some of the long rivets were built with a flat head, not a round head.  If you want to be "identical" to the Rusky builds, then you may want to consider this.

I second the opinion on the ballpeen hammer and anvil - you can't get much more easy than that!

If you must have a special press plate, why not just go to Home Depot and drill that divot into some bar stock.  It don't take much...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
What size ball peen hammer works best?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Can only guess as to the size - but it looks like it's shaped like the rounded end of the rivet, which would look nice if you used two of them and used a press.

Can anyone post the actual dimensions?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Actual dimensions depend on what size rivet you are using.  Some have different size heads on them.  That is if you want them to match side to side.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top