Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 1:14:23 PM EDT
I just built a Romanian parts set on a Vulcan receiver and I'm having trouble with a round feed in to the chamber.  This is my third build.  The other two are a Polish under-folder and an AMD 65,  both with Ohio Ord. receiver.  Can this problem be fixed or is the receiver a piece of sh*t.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
More details, and maybe pictures would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish I could add pics but no camera.  As for detail, the round feeds but the bolt won't go into battery.  Try to pull back on the bolt carrier and it feels stuck and difficult to pull.  With enough force it will eventualy release the round.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the bolt riding over the round?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd check your ejector length and lower rails first.  Make sure the bolt is riding the rails.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd check your ejector length and lower rails first.  Make sure the bolt is riding the rails.

and upper rails too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Everything is fine when the mag is not in place.  Looking at it from behind with a mag inserted the bolt carrier is rubbing on the mag.  If I were to file some of the bolt carrier to clear the mag would I harm the function of the weapon?  And what might cause this to happen?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you forget the selector stop?  I wouldn't touch the carrier when something is wrong somewhere else.  Certainly the carrier isn't made wrong
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
No I installed the selector stop with the trigger guard.  After the build the mag was not locking in place so I filed some material off of the mag release at the top.  Could this be the cause?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#9]
your mag might be pushing your ejector rail up, binding it on the carrier..You could try tapping the ejector rail somewhat downward slightly..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
No from the looks of everything it is the mag thats hitting the carrier.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No from the looks of everything it is the mag thats hitting the carrier.

Then your mags must be sitting too deep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#12]
The question is how do I fix it?  Any suggestion would be greatfull.

Thanks
jbal
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Now I had a problem like this and it turned out that the upper rails were slightly bent up, which caused the carrier to bind on the upper rails when chambering a round. It didn't do it at all without a round in. You could put an empty mag in and it would cycle just fine, but with a live round the pressure from chambering caused the carrier to be forced down into the upper rail. A little bit of pounding with a hammer solved it all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried that also and it helped somewhat.  Now after really inspecting the problem the bolt has a difficult time rotating in the chamber.  I took a file to the bolt and trunion and it fixed this a little better.  But, how can I prvent this from happening again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
You probably ought to buy headspace guages now to make sure you don't have a dangerous situation.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you oiled it ??
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I have found the problem.  On the lower rail above the mag dimpple is a short protruding rail that helps to keep the mag in proper alignment.  Well that was to wide causing the mag to cant when inserted.  Thus causing the bolt to hit the mag and jamb.  After taking alittle off of that piece the rifle cycled with out flaw.  I even changed bolt and bolt carrier with out a problem.  Friday I test it to be sure.  Thanks for all the input I'll let you know how it works.

jbal
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#18]
That is why pics would have been sweet.  That is the last thing I would have thought of since I was looking for a reson the mags were setting too high.  I have had troubles with the little rail sticking out on the lower rails.  I always trim it down to just a little shorter than the dimple on that side.  I guess these rails are for receivers without dimples.  Good job fixing the problem!  Is this your first time using these particular kind of rails?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#19]
This is the first time using registered Vulcan receives.  The other receivers have been OOW.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I am glad that everything worked out for you.  FTF problems can be irritating.  I had a build where the bolt carrier would run fine without the bolt in it, but as soon as you put the bolt in it wouldn't slide into battery.  I messed around with that for days, until I finally measured my rails and figured out they were too long.  Now it runs like a clock.  I should have done like you did, and just ask for help here.

Have fun with your newest baby.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Congrats on getting it fixed.  I've had issues with that lower lower rail thing too.  Good thing you didn't mess with your carrier!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I tried that also and it helped somewhat.  Now after really inspecting the problem the bolt has a difficult time rotating in the chamber.  I took a file to the bolt and trunion and it fixed this a little better.  But, how can I prvent this from happening again.

When you say you took a file to the bolt and trunion, are you saying you filed the locking lugs? If you did then you really should check headspace before firing it.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I built 2 guns on Vulcan receivers.  Both had ridiculously large lower lower rail protusions.  I caught the issue before attempting to fire.  I'll put your experience in my memory banks for possible future reference.

If you filed the bolt, check headspace for sure.  Don't skimp on this for sure.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#24]
The only Vulcan I have ever built an AK on was a Vulcan flat that I got my hands on.  It was on par with TAPCO or anybody else's flats that I have used, and I have used at least 3 maker's flats.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#25]
MrDo, What little bit and I mean very little I took off of the trunion was not worth mentioning.  As for the bolt, I replaced it with an unmolested one and it worked fine.  I will however check the headspace to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
MrDo, What little bit and I mean very little I took off of the trunion was not worth mentioning.  As for the bolt, I replaced it with an unmolested one and it worked fine.  I will however check the headspace to be sure.

No biggie. It was just an FYI. I didn't know how much filing you did. I just didn't want to hear about one us having a blowup.hris
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you to everyone for all your input, it has helped me greatly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#28]
You know I have the same exact problem with my Romanian parts kit and my Vulcan receiver.

(and I'm from Georgia too! There might be a conspiracy in the making here!)

Seriously, I'm going to look over this entire thread and hopefully find the answer to my problem.

jbal, what part of Georgia are you from?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I just had the same problem using the new ewbanks gen 2 receiver and a Romy kit.  Would cycle perfectly until the mag was inserted. Sure enough, the rail that sits above the dimple was shoving the mag over too far causing the carrier to catch on the mag. A little dremmeling and she works just fine now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow! 30 minutes after reading this thread and playing with my Dremel, my problem is solved too. That was the problem. I've attached a pic so everyone will see what we are talking about with that small rail. (I wish I had taken a pic of what it looked like before I filed it down.

BTW - this is my first ever AK build, and as soon as headspace it and have a successful test firing, I'm probably going to try is again before all those parts kits are gone.

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
It's good to see that more  members are being helped.  This is a great forum for the home builder.

Tallfirefighter:  I am in the Canton area. Where are you at?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I finally got to test fire yesterday. The first 3,  20 round mags were to sight in and have fun.  Then the 75 round drum was nothing but bump fire until the barrel smoked. Not one stopage for any reason.  She ran flawless.  Thanks again for all your help.

Jbal
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top