Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 4:10:11 PM EDT
Well I was thinking of finally building my own ak, I'm not sure how im going to do the rivits atm, i do have a drill press for taking rivits out though :p.

It's an underfolder kit, and im looking for a receiver that already has the whole done :D. Anyone help me there? Im not sure if i want to just buy a OOW receiver, or what, I'd rather have a 100% receiver.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say bend your own..  as you will have a lot more in a completed reciever..  the milling for the underfolder is pretty easy..  just be patient...  I did my first underfolder with a dremel..  doesn't look much different than the ones I do on my mill...

Take you time..  slow and steady wins the race..
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I would rather have an already folded receiver, but if you say it isnt hard to do the underfolder cut myself? Ok, All i would need is a template for it right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#3]
yep..  my first with the dremel..  I didn't even use a template..  I just went slow and took my time...  I slid the rear trunnion in place and just dremel'd away...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah i see, thanks for the info :D
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get a complete receiver unless you want to build a bunch since the bending jig is going to set you back $150. Get a complete receiver and spend $100 on a press to press out the barrel instead so you can build it right with rivets. Don't need a drill press to remove rivets. Just grind off heads and punch out. OOW is a complete receiver but don't know if they come with underfolder cuts. I do know Global/Armory USA has them with the cuts already made.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
i had the same idea as you have...buy a complete receiver and it would be easy.

how wrong was i.  i got an OOW receiver and had so much problems with it, longboat can attest to that.

from now on i will be bending my own flats since i know someone that can help me if i ask and probably wont have as much problems.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, ive emailed global asking about their receivers, and have heard some good things about them. The rivits are already removed from the kit.. and the barrel is allready pressed and pinned on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't hold your breath waiting for a return email. Call them and tell them what you want. If you want one of the 1.6mm receivers send them your trunnions so they can narrow them. They will even install them for you if you want. You need to remove the barrel from the trunnion if you want to do a rivet build the right way. If not you can rivet with an air hammer and use the barrel as a bucking bar but that is not advised. You can also do a screw build with the barrel already in the trunnion. You can also get one of their new 1.0 receivers but I've been waiting 4 weeks since I ordered mine by phone and there have not been any reports yet on their quality.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok I'll give them a call and give em a talking to.

Since this is my first build, isnt there a book/video out there that goes through it step by step? If so where do I get it?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top