AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 12:11:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Id say get the OOW reciever.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
me too, get the OOW, it's already hardened (in the strategic spots) and it is basically "ready to go", just the final drilling, then phosphating...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I did a flat bending party recently and I was amazed at how well these flat jigs work and I ended up ordering one of these jigs based on what I saw.  I hope to have the jig in a week or two...  The bent tapco flats were actally better then my OOW receiver in some respects and they really look great...  Yea, you have the hastle of attaching the rails and hardening the receiver but you are doing this for fun... right?

I have a pair of 100% OOW receivers on hand and I have the one receiver I bent at the bend-it party I went to...  So far I have my AMD-65 pistol about 90% done on an OOW receiver and I have another AMD-65 kit for a second pistol that I am planning to do on my self rolled receiver...

The problem is the tooling!  To bend these you really need to build or buy a jig and at about $150 or so to buy plus the cost of a press it is costly....  I plan to offer a couple build parties at my house when I get the tools set-up to "rent-out" my tools to help cover some of the cost but given I am just outside of Philli that would be a hell of a drive for ya!

Oh yea, one of my OOW receivers is going on my PMKMS kit after I am confident I can do a good job while the second is being saved as a reference for my self rolled receivers...  I also have a Romanian AKM on the way that I plan to do with a self rolled receiver after I get the jig and press!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
QB,
Where was the jig from? I know some guy online sells one for like 500 bucks but I ordered one from someone (akbuilder.com or .net) for 125. He's been pretty slow on delivery. I doubt he's ripping me off because we've been e-mailing eachother. I'll let you know how well this jig works. Also I got a press from harborfreight.com for 80 bucks while the local HF shop had them for 125. I justified the press to my girl by saying it was for auto repair. When I get the jig I'll post pics of the 2 AMD65's and the AMD63 I'm going to build.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine is comming from dpharms over at GN... it is $140 and I was going to try to make my own but I don't have the time and that is some pretty specific dimensions to get everthing correct...

Here is the review of the jig www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202158

Here is where I bought:  www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205093

I am on the waiting list and I can only hope I see it soon...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#6]
It's all in the jig.
I bought one of stickerman's jigs, bent 7 flats in one afternoon, all came out perfect

Stickerman's flat bending jig

DPH Arms flat bending jig

More info
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Now that we got the flats vs receivers covered....

Are you planning to rivet, screw or weld?

FWIW:  I am really getting tired or breaking taps doing screw builds so and I typed up a summary of my experiences with tapping the holes as follows....

Tapping the trunions is almost black magic IMHO!

I borke my first tap because I was stupid...
I broke my second tap because I was learning...
I broke my third tap because of bad luck...
I broke my fourth tap because these F-ING little taps don't like steel that hard!

Moral of the story... The front trunions normally don't cause me problems but I use lots of oil and pull the tap out several times and clean out the hole... YES, even for such a short hole!  Make sure you get a nice clean hole to start with!

If you drill and leave part of the rivet in the hole (along the sides of the hole you drill) and you drill all the way through the rivet and try to tap it... the rivet WILL bind to your tap and THE TAP WILL BREAK! When doing the rear trunion, I don't suggest getting greedy and trying to tap real deep as it seems to me that after a set point in time the F-ING taps say F-YOU and BREAKS!

I also suggest getting several spare taps... Get a couple for the normal taps in 10-32 plus a couple of the the bottoming type... When the tap starts looking rounded toss it! If you need to force the tap and it starts to creak in a hole... and you are lucky enough to get it out... TOSS THE TAP as once these decide to go they can go quick with little force required.... Yea, trust me I know!

I have now drilled and tapped five kits and when I did the last two I really thought I had things figured out... I still had two taps break and what a royal PITA it is to get them removed!  I am still learning just what the best way is to get them out and it seems to me the best way is not to have one break in the first part!

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
QB,
I ordered one from someone (akbuilder.com or .net) for 125. He's been pretty slow on delivery. I doubt he's ripping me off because we've been e-mailing eachother.

No, he is legit as I ordered one from him and had it a week later.  Must have got one before he ran out of them.  Looks well made, but haven't had a chance to use it yet due to other projects.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rivets.

My Amish-area friend likes doing things himself and has a nice shop to use. I just need to do my own research since when he says 'it's easy' the translation is similar to a biker telling you the whisky is smooth.

LMAO whiskey? YUCK
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mine is comming from dpharms over at GN... it is $140 and I was going to try to make my own but I don't have the time and that is some pretty specific dimensions to get everthing correct...

Here is the review of the jig www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202158

Here is where I bought:  www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205093

I am on the waiting list and I can only hope I see it soon...

i saw one of scott's (dpharms) jigs at the charlotte gunshow today, and i have to say it is top of the line stuff. he had a few of the recivers he had bent himself and they were very nice!!!  wish i had the $140 bucks to get one
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top