Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:29:37 AM EDT
OK in accordance woth Murphy's Law I have manged to break a Small Drill bit inside the rear tunion rivet. Any suggestions? Any know if the rear trunions rivets go straight through the rear trunion on a AMD 65  is a punch a a BFH the answer?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I did the same thing once and drilled the opposite side using alot more oil and then punched it out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how much of the tap has broken off.
I've had this same problem a few times during previous builds.
It is a comman problem no matter how much lube you use when tapping.
The easiest way with out damaging the tapped threads is to barrow or buy a "Tap extractor".
It's a small tool with little fingers that grab the outer sides of the broken tap.
I borrowed mine from a friend that has a machine shop but I've heard you can get them at lowes or ace hardware. Beleive me if you're planning on doing anymore builds or tapping in the future this tool is a pride investment. If you can't find a standard extracter 4mm will do just fine.
Use plenty of  lube, it could be a real "Pain in the ass" if you don't.
Hope this helps,
Shadow  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a small drill bit not a tap
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
punch it out the same way it when in
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If you said "rear" trunion, grind down or remove the head on the other side, put a small punch
mark in the center, use a drill to counter-sink some material out of the center, not much, get
a hard pin punch and slightly heat the area of the trunion nearest the hole, in the center, for no more than 30 seconds, you have one shot. As the outside heats up, it expands. Heat up the
whole area, then give the rivet a whack with the pin punch. If you leave any material on the
head of the rivet, it could mushroom and bind up, the reason for the small counter-sink. Make
sure the pin punch is less than the rivet diameter also. Once the entire thing gets warm, start
over later. Get it when the outside is warmer than the rivet. Use cobalt drills next time, a cheap
drill will really mess the whole deal up! A drill that small needs to be the best. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Drill from the other side with a lot of cutting oil.  When I drilled mine the rivet just pushed out when I got most of the way through.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Well in accordance with Murphy yet again. I dilled from the other side got the bit out and promptly broke a tap in the hole. Well Life is good  right off to try the tap removal techniques mentioned earler
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top