Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 4:15:06 AM EDT
If I want to thread my barrels (Maadi & SAR1) do I need to remove the front sight blocks first?
What's the general proceedure for this?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to take off the sight block when I do it.  I got a 14X1 L.H. die from Brownells and a thread alignment tool. I measured the length and in order to thread the end, the block will have to come off for the die to go on far enough.  I've got every domestic part in it I can find and I'm just waiting on the 13th.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a maadi, the threads look to have been turned off  the end of the barrel to get it legal as the end of the barrel appears to be smaller in diameter than the rest (purcased new, not done by someone). Is there any way to get a flash hider attached to this after the ban expires? I am guessing there has beeen material removed already, or is this the way they made the barrels for the post - ban rifles and can I simply thread it, the smaller looing diameter is ok? Thanks, Chris
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine too :( Damn, what can we do?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I know there is a thread adapter available from many sources which uses set screws to attatch to our style barrel, it then has threads on the end so then you can attatch a 14x1 left hand flash hider, I guess it could be welded on and then the fh screwed on. I would just as well skip that step and if I could find a fh I liked which fit the end of the barrel without the threads, I would just as well weld it on directly without adding the extra length. Just want a slant break, altough I really like the 4 piece bulgarian krink brakes/fh, but they have a wierd thread pitch and I'm not sure how they work, I think they are 7.62x39 though. If I could find the inside measurements of one I might be able to weld it on the end with some sort of sleeve, the adapter available won't work for it because of thread type.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I threaded a Sar 1 and I didnt take the site off .All I did was started with the end of the die that has the taper for starting threads then after I got about half way I turned the die around and went till it bottomed out works fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
No you don't need to remove the front site block.  On the SAR-1 you will need to order 2 parts from K-Var.  Plunger Pin and Plunger Pin Spring.

An AK-74 muzzle brake can be purchased at Brownells and I believe it is U.S. made for your parts count.  AK-74 muzzle brake along with the thread aligning tool and 14x1 LH die.  The handle is also available at Brownells for the die and the handle needs to be able to hold a round die.  

I live in Tucson if you are local and wish to thread your barrels.  Doesn't take long.  If you are in Phoenix, Cav Arms will be having a cookout on the 14th for an end of the ban get together and I will most likely be there and will bring my threading die.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I'm also thinking of pressing off the FSB from my Saiga 7.62 and press on a regular FSB so I can thread that barrel too.
I do live in Tucson!! I'll send you a PM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
cheaper to reuse the saiga FSB just get the shroud cutoff. not sure the saiga will take 14x1 LH threads it should however take AR15 threads 1/2x28

thinking bout removing my front sight base and doing the same. dont have press though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Ayone willing to let me borrow their AK tap, handle,  and alignment tool when they are done? [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ayone willing to let me borrow their AK tap, handle,  and alignment tool when they are done? [email protected]

I've heard there is someone on the board with the tool that they rent.  Haven't confirmed it tho.  I'd be willing to put a fair deposit down to use them tho.  I'm also looking into buying the tools myself, if I did I'd be willing to rent them out or go in with a few people on them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
HEY MAC, I'M FROM YUMA AND WILL BE COMING DOWN TO TUCSON VA HOSPITAL ON THE 8TH OF OCTOBER FOR A 1300 APPT, THINK WE COULD HOOK UP AND THREAD THE WASR 10?  THANX BRO

TOU JOURS PRET
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top