Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 7:08:32 AM EDT
about the law for the assault rifle?  How legal to own a rifle?  any one know any about this matter please post.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to be more specific on your post.

You are located in GA, USA?

If so then it is legal for you to own a PRE-BAN assault weapon.  Pre-ban weapons are assembled prior to Sept 1994.

It is legal for you to own a POST-BAN assault weapon provided that you follow the 10 parts rule and only have 2 evil features.

Please be a little clearer on exactly what you are wanting to know.

CHARLES
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Please note that may answer is based on you being legal to own a firearm period.

If you are a convicted felon then of course you will not be able to own a firearm, much less a Assualt weapon.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you know if your is Pre Ban or Post Ban?  And how the ATF going to find out?  I try to see if it is legal to bring it to the range to test it.  Thank you for rely.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
huh?

Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Lets get a little more detail

Did you buy the rifle from a person or a gun shop? If you bought from a gun shop your more likely to have a completely legal rifle.

There should be no reason your rifle isn't allowed at the range unless you have a class 3 weapon (full auto). I seriously doubt you have a full auto weapon. You would have remembered the interview with the Chief LEO and especially the $200 tax stamp. some allow full auto firing but not many.

Pre ban rifles are allowed to have the so called evil features such as underfolding stocks, flask hiders, etc.

Post band rifles need to have a certain amount of US made parts on them most maufactures of US made parts take the time to stamp or mold the "US" somewhere on them. They are allowed to have permanent muzzle breaks, underfolding stocks inthe fixed open position, etc.

Do you have a picture of the rifle? what year did you buy it? Some times the serial number will indicate the year built but, not always.

hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
the serial number is 8443 AK 74 .  get it from ebay.  Receiver from Joeken Firearm www.joeken.com
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a post ban gun.Joeken sells Hesse made guns and receivers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How do you know if your is Pre Ban or Post Ban?  And how the ATF going to find out?  I try to see if it is legal to bring it to the range to test it.  Thank you for rely.

If you have an illegally assembled rifle, chances are that if F-Troop finds out, your penalty will be confiscation of contraband.  If you have an illegal Class III (machine gun, short-barreled rifle, etc.) weapon the illegal post-pan becomes a "pile on" charge.

The average BATF agent wouldn't know a post ban from Adam's housecat.  After all, they are government employees.  But once in a while you run into one who only suffers from emotional problems, not laziness. That's the one who can spot an illegal post ban gun from the other side of the range.

I see illegal post-bans at every gun show I go to - not enough US parts, original flash hiders, pre-ban uppers on post-ban lowers.  And these are on dealer tables. Nothing ever happens.  But the owner is always at a disadvantage with respect to the law.  I can guarantee you that even though the "law" is illegal in itself, you don't have enough money to fight it.

Yes, Virginia, institutionalized extortion is still alive and well in America.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It is legal for you to own a POST-BAN assault weapon provided that you follow the 10 parts rule and only have 2 evil features.

Am I the only one that disagrees with this statement? A post-ban semi-auto rifle can only have ONE "evil feature"
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I the only one that disagrees with this statement? A post-ban semi-auto rifle can only have ONE "evil feature"

Yes, you are. A post-ban rifle can have 2 features (pistol grip and detachable magazine, usually) while a post-ban shotgun can only have 1.

As usual, the laws in any specific state may vary (CA, NY, etc).
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#11]
No, actually the magazine insn't an evil feature, it is a qualifying feature along with the rifle being semi-auto.  

To be an assault weapon a rifle must be semi-automatic, have a datachable magazine, and more then one of the "evil features" listed in the ban.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top