Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/22/2020 6:02:44 PM EDT
I have one of the old neutered WASR 10 rifles imported by Century.  It appears they just ground the threads flat and refinished the area since a 5/8 x 24 die slides right over the area.  I was thinking it could possibly be threaded to 1/2 x 28 and use 9mm AR style brake or FH.  The problem is making it concentric since the guides are the wrong size.  Local smith passed on the task for that reason.  Any ideas how to attack this animal?
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Press fit a threaded sleeve on.

What’s OD?
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
One of these annular cutters will size the barrel muzzle end down to to use a 1/2” or 14mm die...

https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/2213.htm

I think this is what your trying to do?
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of these annular cutters will size the barrel muzzle end down to to use a 1/2” or 14mm die...

https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/2213.htm

I think this is what your trying to do?
View Quote

That would work to cut the barrel down if I was slightly over.  It is  pretty close now.  The problem I run into is the pilot for the die cutter in 1/2x 28 is far too small for a 7.62 barrel and doesnt properly line me up.  My 5/8x24 pilot fits the barrel perfectly but the barrel was cut down so far when they ground off the threads the die side right over.  I will try to take a picture.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That would work to cut the barrel down if I was slightly over.  It is  pretty close now.  The problem I run into is the pilot for the die cutter in 1/2x 28 is far too small for a 7.62 barrel and doesnt properly line me up.  My 5/8x24 pilot fits the barrel perfectly but the barrel was cut down so far when they ground off the threads the die side right over.  I will try to take a picture.

View Quote

The barrel was never made for 5/8x24.  The standard AK thread size 14x1 LH.  14mm requires a roughly .550" OD on the barrel.

These are standard AKs with a couple of operations like the third hole and barrel threads left incomplete to comply with US standards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Both sets of digital calipers have grown legs so it will be a couple days before I can take an exact measurement of the OD
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The barrel was never made for 5/8x24.  The standard AK thread size 14x1 LH.  14mm requires a roughly .550" OD on the barrel.

These are standard AKs with a couple of operations like the third hole and barrel threads left incomplete to comply with US standards.
View Quote

New caliper came in.  I have the .550, well. 549 but it looks like I can thread it to the original thread pitch.  Thanks for the input.  Noe for a new die and guide
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top