Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/13/2005 12:17:35 AM EDT
Had a good weekend building 2 kits for my buddy who just returned from Iraq and one for myself.

PMKMS and AIM for Scott:

Using this picture for inspiration:

I built a Romanian AIMS for myself:

Receivers were Ewbanks Gen2 from DPHArms. Kits were from my collection. Finish was sandblast, Caswell pre-dip blackener, and Shooter’s Solutions HD Manganese-Phosphate park. This turned into a BEAUTIFUL smooth black park job.

Overall, I’m pleased with the receivers. Yes, there are issues with them. They beat the living shit out of flats (for time & hassle) and until Global gets their act together with those stupid fucking dimples and mis-placed text, the Ewbanks beats them, too. If I had a tig to fill in that "drain hole" the Ewbanks would be great for most builds.

Scott got these receivers to me quickly with his typically excellent service.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
they look great
i luv the old style folders that hang way down
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job. I've used the Ewbanks gen 2 twice now and also like them. Just some minor fitting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Now I have to have a AIMS, thanks a lot! Couldn't leave well enough alone could you?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Where did you find the lower handguard for your AIMS ? All I see are the forward slanting lower grips.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Ain’t she sweet??!!  

I bought the kit a few years ago during the ban. I really didn’t like it at all until I started looking into the history of the Romanian AK. Once Templar posted the pics from the 89 Revolution I looked at the kit again & saw the light. Now this is one of my favorite Aks by far. I think I even like it better than my 74M from Inrange.

Interordnance had the correct foregrips a couple months ago. They still may, but you have to ask for them specifically.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw one of the Romanian AIMS (With the UF and front handgrip) in one of RustedAce's AK battlefield pickup photos...

COOL!

I think it's absolutely hideous though
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I did too until I saw that pic!

It doesn't get much cooler. I need one of those fuzzy hats!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I did too until I saw that pic!

It doesn't get much cooler. I need one of those fuzzy hats!

And some Romanian webgear, a little commie officer's pistol, and a tank to sit on
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Now I have something to aim for, very impressive build (s).
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Oldtop. I appreciate that. It was a heck of a good time!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Another thing about your build..That's the only Romanian kit that I've seen where the front hand grip has a rear-ward tilt/angle to it...all the kits I've seen all angle forward....

Just a though.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top