Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 3:13:04 PM EDT
I've been using Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber by Birchwood Casey for years, since they came up with a formulation that doesn't harm plastics.

But I have not seen that type for sale either on Amazon, or at the store.  The labeling now says "Single Use Only", my guess is that people were using it for other things besides cleaning guns and then having problems or lawsuits, and the label says they can damage plastic items.

Anyone know why Birchwood changed the labeling and or product?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
On their website they have it as a Synthetic Safe gun scrubber: https://shop.birchwoodcasey.com/products/gun-scrubber-synthetic-firearm-cleaner-15-fl-oz-aerosol.html

It's hard to say why a company would change their product labeling. It could be that a lawyer reviewed it and they decided to change it. However, it is very expensive to hire a lawyer to have analyse every product in the company and determine what sort of potential lawsuits can arise from it so I am doubtful of that approach.

It could be that with the variation of plastics out there they decided to err on the side of caution. Personally I have never seen it melt any of my plastics or sights but I haven't really been testing that. I also never heard of someone having anything damaged.

I also suspect that people use Gun Scrubber on other items and they are, again erring on the side of caution in case.

Believe it or not, you can sue a company for not writing explicit warnings on their products. That's why shampoos say do not drink, and why cruise control says to remain in the vehicle. Despite the can having the word "gun" and a picture of a shotgun on it, someone could claim that they did not know it was for firearms and used it to clean their kid's milk bottle since it says it is plastic safe and now want billions of dollars.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I called Birchwood Casey about this a few weeks ago after I bought a 6 pack that said synthetic safe on the box but not on the cans inside. They told me that they now only make the synthetic safe version. They did admit that it may have been a mistake to not have it on the label.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got some new cases of Gun Scrubber the other day and it comes in a completely different can. It's no longer the old shape and it only says "Single Purpose Firearm Cleaner" on the label.

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Scrubber-Synthetic-Cleaner/dp/B07X3M1X43

^ My can now looks like that one.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top