Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:14 PM EDT
Here is the second backyard non scientific rust I conducted using some popular products. If you missed the first test it is here.

The testing parameters are the same except I didn't use any aluminum test media this time. I sprayed these stripper clips with Atlantic ocean water once a day for seven days. It rained on three of these days and for over eight hours on one day. I have been really busy working some overtime so I took this photo on the tenth day after the experiment began.

1) Control: Metal clip rusted over and corrosion starting to form on brass insert.

2) Eezox: Metal clip had two very small freckles of rust (one was between the S&Y on ASSY stamped on it) that I was able to wipe off with my finger without pitting. There was some discoloration on the brass insert which were salt deposits.

3) Boeshield T-9: Nail heads were rusted over and there was a small amount of rust forming on the left side of the metal clip. The Brass insert had salt deposits which wiped away and the rust from the nail stained it's left side.

4) WD-40: Maybe those who say that this is a good rust preventative will look at this. It is rusted almost as bad as the control and I feel that WD-40 has no business on a firearm to begin with.

5) Pro-Shot 1 Step: This is marketed as an all in one CLP. There was heavy rusting on the stripper clip and the brass insert is starting to corrode.

6) Safariland Breakfree CLP. On my last test this did worse than the old style CLP so I retested it again. Same results as last time.

7) Muscle Products PL-10 grease: I tested this because some of you use a lithium complex grease and asked me to test one. There was a little rust starting to form on the top left of the stripper clip and on the nail heads. The discoloration on the brass insert just rubbed off with my finger.

Like the first test I conducted, Eezox is still the best performing product at keeping rust at bay.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever tried Strikehold?

I've been told it's very similar to Eezox, but have no experience with Eezox.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Try some FireClean. I left some on a stripper clip for a month and a half through pouring rains, sun, and snow, and it doesn't have a speck of rust on it. No seawater, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#3]
One thing I forgot to mention is when I sprayed water on these, all the products except Eezox beaded up water. The water seemed to partially sheet off the Eezox treated metal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try some FireClean. I left some on a stripper clip for a month and a half through pouring rains, sun, and snow, and it doesn't have a speck of rust on it. No seawater, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you ever tried Strikehold?

I've been told it's very similar to Eezox, but have no experience with Eezox.

I've never seen these products for sale locally. I'd have to order them. I'd also like to try G96 too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One thing I forgot to mention is when I sprayed water on these, all the products except Eezox beaded up water. The water seemed to partially sheet off the Eezox treated metal.
View Quote

I remember reading Eezox is heavier than water, I assume that would be the reason.

I'm not interested in using it as a lube, but I received a 4oz metal can of it yesterday in the mail; I've seen too many of these tests where it out performs everything as a rust preventative....I'm sold.

Again, thank you for your time and sharing the results.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I remember reading Eezox is heavier than water, I assume that would be the reason.

I'm not interested in using it as a lube, but I received a 4oz metal can of it yesterday in the mail; I've seen too many of these tests where it out performs everything as a rust preventative....I'm sold.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love EEZOX,  I use it on the exterior of my firearms.  Not sure if lubing on top of it would have any adverse reactions or not, or remove the Eezox.

Thanks for the test OP

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top