Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2007 6:16:04 PM EDT
My guns are all fine, thank goodness (protected by good maintenance and a Golden Rod).

However, a bunch of my tools and reloading equipment is starting to get spot rust (since they aren't stored as well, or cleaned like my guns).

I need something that will remove rust but not attack a blue, black, or parkerized finish.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
clp and bronze wool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Bluing = oxidization
rust = oxidization
bluing = rust

I think you are screwed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bluing = oxidization
rust = oxidization
bluing = rust

I think you are screwed.

Gee, uhh, thanks . . . it's not gun bluing that I'm worried about, just the black finish on some of my clamps and tools.  All of my dies and reloading gear that has spot rust is in-the-white.

Any solutions that would work for me?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Evap-o-Rust, from Brownells. Been using it for about 4 years now. Works great.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
WD-40 and 0000 steel wool.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Eezox and steel or bronze wool.  Eezox will do a good job of removing rust and I have not found anything that prevents rust better.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Flitz....removes rust specks without leaving the micro lines that 0000 steel wool will leave.  Won't attack blue, removes rust specks and rust barnacles.  All you need to do is dab some on and rub with a cotton ball.

It also shines up the good blue to a dazzling finish.  Phenomenal stuff.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bluing = oxidization
rust = oxidization
bluing = rust

I think you are screwed.

Gee, uhh, thanks . . . it's not gun bluing that I'm worried about, just the black finish on some of my clamps and tools.  All of my dies and reloading gear that has spot rust is in-the-white.

Any solutions that would work for me?

I wouldn't be posting any icons if I were you.  You are the one who neglects your equipment.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wouldn't be posting any icons if I were you.  You are the one who neglects your equipment.

Fuck you too.  I'm sorry that the gov't stored my stuff in a humid warehouse in Fayetteville, NC for three years while I was overseas.  I hosed everything down with RemOil before I stored it, and it came out with some rust.

Sue me for wanting to get my stuff fixed up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
2nd Flitz. I used the liquid. Cleans up dirty, ugly, rusted, oxidized surplus ammo to like new condition. No ammonia, alcohol or acid in it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
2nd Flitz. I used the liquid. Cleans up dirty, ugly, rusted, oxidized surplus ammo to like new condition. No ammonia, alcohol or acid in it.

Thanks, I've got some Flitz on-hand.  I might give that a whirl.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you too.  I'm sorry that the gov't stored my stuff in a humid warehouse in Fayetteville, NC for three years while I was overseas.  I hosed everything down with RemOil before I stored it, and it came out with some rust.

Sue me for wanting to get my stuff fixed up.

Everyone has at least one friend or family member that could have stored your stuff.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets cut the insults and BS and keep this on track.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Amen.  Given the OPs description of the afffected gear and storage circumstances, what would have been a better (than RemOil) spray-on preservative?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.  Given the OPs description of the afffected gear and storage circumstances, what would have been a better (than RemOil) spray-on preservative?

CLP or Cosmoline

Rem oil is about the worst stuff one can use for rust protection.  It is a lube only.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Everyone has at least one friend or family member that could have stored your stuff.

A large quantity WAS stored with family.  However, I had additional (reloading gear) items that had to go into storage.  My situation was my situation.

Quoted:
CLP or Cosmoline

Rem oil is about the worst stuff one can use for rust protection.  It is a lube only.

I wish I had realized that back in February of 2003 . . .
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on FLITZ!

That German stuff is amazing!  It takes the rust and leaves the finish!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

A large quantity WAS stored with family.  However, I had additional (reloading gear) items that had to go into storage.  My situation was my situation.

height=8
Quoted:
CLP or Cosmoline

h

If it were me, I would have bought some cosmoline, got a sealable tupperware container, put the parts in it, and then heated some cosmoline, and poured it in the container over your parts.  This way your parts are completely sealed in a solidified gel of cosmoline, and will be resistant to rust and other corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If it were me, I would have bought some cosmoline, got a sealable tupperware container, put the parts in it, and then heated some cosmoline, and poured it in the container over your parts.  This way your parts are completely sealed in a solidified gel of cosmoline, and will be resistant to rust and other corrosion.

Hindsight = 20/20 + FAIL  

Constructive advice on how to remedy my situation = G2G
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#20]
If you have rust the finish is toast.

soak the partsd in oil use steel wool, bronze wool etc.

Flitz works as well.

if it is bare steel you could use some fine grit wet sandpaper. 600 grit and higher.

I had good results soaking parts in transmission fuild for a month or 2 to remove some rust.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Im using Flitz on an old ARISAKA rifle that has light rust all over it, it will work! My application is taking some time, but for newer light rust it should be ok. I use a stiff wire brush(nylon) or toothbrush to work it in, then whipe off with a rag and polish some more, actually works really well and has shined up the rifle a bit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top