Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 7:46:11 PM EDT
Had some strange spots in my Bushy 1/9 16" chrome lined bore I couldn't seem to get out. Usually use regular Hoppes No.9 and a few runs of the Bore Snake.... but these spots started appearing and although not getting worse, they wouldn't go away. I dont use BF-CLP on my barrel, because I've never had good success with it cleaning in the past. I tend to believe it lacks in the cleaning area. Decided to try some new cleaning stuff this afternoon-

- Butch Triple Twill Cleaning Patches
- Hoppes Bore Snake
- Hoppes Elite Bore Gel
- Break Free Carbon Cutter

1. Ran a patch through with BF Carbon Cutter, let sit 5 minutes
2. Ran dry patch (wow a lot of fouling broke free and the gun was cleaned with No.9 prior to putting away)
3. Ran Bore Snake to make sure everything was cleared out
4. Ran a patch through with Hoppes Elite Bore Gel, let sit 5 minutes
5. Ran dry patch (it was caked dark greenish/blue)
6. Ran a patch through with Hoppes Elite, let sit 15 minutes
7. Ran dry patch (still caked dark green/blue)
8. Repeated dry patches a few times
9. Ran the Bore Snake, then a dry patch once more to check
10. Examined bore, everything was spotless and shiny like a mirror

I gotta say, these new patches work better than the cotton ones, they pick up a lot more gunk that's for sure... I actually compared these Butch's Triple Twill to the Hoppes and KleenBore patches, and they are a lot better and actually cheaper @ $10.50 for 1000... Also the Hoppes Elite Bore Gel seems to work better on the copper than the KleenBore copper solvent I have.

- rem

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
tag

also I believe BF-CLP is only 20% solvent (Royco being 40%)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info.  i think im gonna have to try some of the hoppes bore gel
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top