Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 3:42:10 PM EDT
I recently noticed that the finish on my Delta Ring is coming off and is purple in color. I've come to the conclusion that either the original ring from the manufacturer had a finish other than parkerized or that the gunsmith that installed my flash suppressor swapped out the delta ring with an unparkerized one.

Either way I'm not liking what I'm seeing and after looking through the help section on AR15.com decided that I will be able to install a new delta ring myself. My question is that while the gas tube is off should it be cleaned, and if so how? I've seen the "pipe cleaner's" in advertisements, are they necessary or can a spray cleaner be used
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You might spray it out while you have it off, but otherwise I wouldn't ever bother cleaning it. The high pressure of the gas will keep them blown out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are worried about it, replace it. Gas tubes are cheap.

You know how hard the crusties are in the bolt carrier. How anyone thinks they are going to shift burned on crud inside the gas tube with a pipe cleaner or spray is beyond me. The TM doesn't call for cleaning and specifically states not to put anything down the gas tube.

Not trying to rag on you, keltoid. BSW

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you are worried about it, replace it. Gas tubes are cheap.

You know how hard the crusties are in the bolt carrier. How anyone thinks they are going to shift burned on crud inside the gas tube with a pipe cleaner or spray is beyond me. The TM doesn't call for cleaning and specifically states not to put anything down the gas tube.

Not trying to rag on you, keltoid. BSW

No, no, that's great, I need the input. I felt like the pipe cleaner's weren't that good of a cleaning tool, but wasn't sure being that I've never dealt with the gas tube before. I defintely know about the crusties, so I can relate to that. This particular rifle has not been fired that much, so I'll probably reuse the gas tube unless it gets mistreated in the delta ring replacement. Appreciate the info.

keltoid
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've come to the conclusion that either the original ring from the manufacturer had a finish other than parkerized

Delta rings are aluminum.   Aluminum CAN'T be parkerized.   So they are anodized.   It's not uncommon for black anodize to have a bit of a purple tint.

Nothing wrong with it, why bother replacing it?

My question is that while the gas tube is off should it be cleaned, and if so how? I've seen the "pipe cleaner's" in advertisements, are they necessary or can a spray cleaner be used

Gas tubes are self cleaning.  Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Delta rings are aluminum.   Aluminum CAN'T be parkerized.   So they are anodized.   It's not uncommon for black anodize to have a bit of a purple tint.

Nothing wrong with it, why bother replacing it?

I appreciate the information regarding the ring being anodized vs. parkerized, but how purple in color is too purple. Take a look for yourself:

I guess it's a personal preference. I just don't like the purple look myself.

keltoid
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Several years ago Bushmaster had an "issue" with purple receivers.

How purple is too purple?    No amount if you care about function.    Any amount if it's looks that matter.   That's up to you.

Functionally, it's not hurting a thing.

The pic looks fairly purple, but your lower receiver looks a bit purple too.   Too hard to tell with cameras and monitors.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Parkerising is a magnesium phosphate finish applied to steel.  Annodising is an electrolsys (is that the right term guys?) done to aluminum.  It uses electricity in an acid bath with the part being done the negative end, or annode. It actually changes the composition of the surface of the metal making it harder.  The coloring is basically a dye that soaks into the pores of the metal and is then sealed.
The receivers are generally done in military hard annodised type-3 which is harder, but more expensive than the common type 2.

Yours looks pretty purple though, but it isn't uncommon for black anno'd aluminum to have some purple tint to it.  Even the Colt's and FN's made for the military sometimes have that purple tinge to them.

If you don't like it, go ahead and change it.  It'll be cheaper than having it redone, unless you use some sort of do it yourself coloring or spraypaint.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
A good way to clean the Gas Tube is by using a long "tobacco" pipe cleaner, like this one from Tapco.

http://www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/CLN0971_md.jpg
Gas Tube Mops - 20 Pack

I dunno if this is the version that's long enough to clean the full length (20 in.) gas tube of an AR15; but I figure you go to a crafts store, like Michaels and have these in stock.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A good way to clean the Gas Tube is by using a long "tobacco" pipe cleaner, like this one from Tapco.

www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/CLN0971_md.jpg
Gas Tube Mops - 20 Pack

I dunno if this is the version that's long enough to clean the full length (20 in.) gas tube of an AR15; but I figure you go to a crafts store, like Michaels and have these in stock.

That's a GREAT way to screw up your weapon - when you accidently leave pieces of the brush inside the tube - flammable material.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top