Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 12:21:07 PM EDT
I was walking by an arms room today and saw soldiers cleaning weapons with sandpaper and steel wool inside and out to remove rust and carbon.

I about had a stroke...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel wool and oil is ok, sandpaper isnt.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The military does more damage to weapons cleaning them than they do firing them.  I've cringed many times seeing what troops are doing to their weapons but, as long as the leadership expects absolutely spotless rifles, troops will do whatever it takes to get there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The military does more damage to weapons cleaning them than they do firing them.  I've cringed many times seeing what troops are doing to their weapons but, as long as the leadership expects absolutely spotless rifles, troops will do whatever it takes to get there.

That's right. I think that's where a lot of the over-cleaning compulsion gets justified.
If the military does it it must be right.

AR's gas system does put fouling where it's real obvious and pride of possesion tends to motivate some real aggressive cleaning. Most shooters don't get to shoot as much as they would like to and lots of cleaning let's them handle their pride and joy.

It's mostly harmless till you get to sandpaper and steel scrapers.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Sandpaper?  That's a new one for me.  I'll have to keep that in mind next time.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top